Injuries you had and still worked

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BMLS, Aug 26, 2007.

1. BMLS

BMLS LawnSite Member

What was the worst injury that you guys had and still got up and worked in the morning. I own a lawn care business and torn my distal bicep muscle a few weeks ago and have surgery scheduled Tuesday. I will be out 6-8 weeks. This is a major bummer as it is just me and by brother. I've been working with the injury the past 2 weeks but it was hard to even carry a weedeater. I was able to use my ZTR mower. Shrub trimming was out of the question though.

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

im on the local FD in may we had a charity football game against the police well i got my hand smashed between two helmets and it got broke. Luckly i had 2 employees at the time to do the majority of the work but i still had to do quite a bit and that was a PITA.
  3. LawnNeedz

LawnNeedz LawnSite Senior Member

About four years ago I broke my ankle and continued to work. At the time I was working for a lawn fert. company so I had to be on my feet all day. I just wrapped it and taped it and did the best that I could. I guess for us lawn guys, skipping work is not always an option.
  4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a ripped rotator cuff and ill tell ya somedays are really hard
  5. Mow Mony

Mow Mony LawnSite Member
    from VA

I had 18 stitches across the bottom of my foot and still rode around on the velke on one leg...not fun though, had to because one of my guys called out that week and couldn't get a fill in that day.

I had stepped on glass and cut my right foot all the way across up to the bone, not fun.
  6. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

Right now I'm dealing with something that is pulled or torn in my foot. Not sure if it's a tendon or muscle. All I know is that it hasn't had a chance to heal since it happened the first of July. I'm looking forward to resting in October. Besides that, I have a disc in my back that went out in '01 and still causes pain and my left leg is numb from mid thigh to the knee. Slows me down sometimes, but I don't see any change in the near future.
  7. TriplePLandscaping

TriplePLandscaping LawnSite Member

I had no injuries thank god. But my brother continued to mow both times when he had a broken wrist. and 9 broken bones in his foot. thank god we have a zero turn and not walk behind.
  8. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

On a Sunday evening several years ago my soon to be ex wife broke an unopened Corona beer bottle over my head.
    Eight stitches later I was at work the next morning. Had a hellofa headache for several days but I'd rather work than be around that demented whack job.
    Still have the indented scalp and scar to this day.
  9. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

smashed the snot out of my thumb. full out hit with a hammer. i was driving a bearing off and the customer was pestering me. i politely asked him to leave, wrapped it in a red rag and finished up. somehow i didnt break it.
  10. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

I cut my shin up something fierce with a chainsaw a few years back...just had "ONE" cut and got sloppy and left the chaps in the truck. I slip as the cut (at waist level) completes, and as I fall, the spinning saw drops and nails my shin. Stupid, but it really chewed up my shin.

I cleaned the wound with saline scrub, dressed it, and finished the day and stopped by the medical center on the way home to get my stitches. It bled all dang day tho, probably should have went in sooner but the work was piled up.