1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Injury and email to Gravely

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by j_loppy, Aug 3, 2005.

1. j_loppy

j_loppy LawnSite Member

I have a safety concern with the Gravely commercial walk behind mowers. This applies to the model I'm currently using ( no longer manufactured-pro steer) and the platform that the new ones are still built on.
    I was mowing on 8-2-05 at a commercial property and struck a small piece of cylindrical metal, 1/8 inch in diameter and 5 inches long. This foreign object was not detected before mowing and was virtually invisible, as I never saw it until I mowed over it. All components of the mower were intact and operating properly at the point of impact with the small item. I was wearing all appropriate PPE ( Long pants, shirt, safety glasses, hearing protection, and boots.) when I struck the unseen object. The only thing I heard was a loud "bang" and I felt something hit my leg. I stopped immediately, shut down the mower, and searched for what it was that I hit. Nothing was seen at first, but the pain in my shin was increasing rapidly, so I looked down and noticed a twisted piece of wire sticking out of my pants leg on my right shin. I hurriedly cut my pants away from the steel wire only to notice it was sticking in my shin about 2" deep! Ouch. My question: Is there a way to prevent objects like this from discharging inadvertently from the rear of the deck and striking the operator? The striping kit, as best I can tell, was where most of the "noise" came from. So, I guess it slowed the projectile somewhat, but still, there has to be something better.
    I would be more than happy to talk with some of you folks to prevent this from happening to anyone else. Safety is always first for me. That's the biggest reason I chose your product. I would just like to help make this better in the future.

Thank you for making a great product and listening to the folks out in the field who trust your products everyday!
  2. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

Wow, 2" deep would be at least halfway thru your leg in the shin area. It must have been off to the side and missed the bone, eh? I guess the ER doctor put you on some pretty good antibiotics to insure no infection. Something that deep is serious. Good thing it was a wire and not something larger or you would have lost your leg completely. :rolleyes:
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have heard of this before. You can get a truck mud flap and attach it to the back of the mower. That should slow anything down that is discharged from under the deck.
  4. op4_camper

op4_camper LawnSite Member

This could happen with most mowers. I don't know of any deck that would stop this. Its all part of working with equipment. The mud flap Idea would help so long as your customers don't wont stripes. But I still think items could and would bounce under the flap and out. When I was 12 , watching a neighbor mow his yard. He ran over a galvanized 90 elbow. Which shot out a good distanced in my direction. I don't think a mud flap would of stop it.
  5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i run a hd truck mudflap (3/16"-1/4" thick) behind my mowers for that reason and to help with the stripe appearance. you'd be amazed at the gouges they pick up over the season.
  6. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

As one person already stated, old piece of mud flap might help. Also wearing some sort of chaps would help.

That's why I hate when ever people start approaching my mower from no-where.