Input on 60" Rear Discharge decks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmc456, Sep 2, 2005.

?

Would you want a 60" Rear Discharge Mower?

1. Yes, it would be a must have.

42.9%
  2. No, I like the current designs.

21.4%
  3. Mabe, but would like the option to side or rear discharge.

35.7%
  1. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

So who would go for a 60" rear discharge mowing deck on their current mowing deck if it was available. The ability to use a 60" deck, trim right and left, and not worry about any clumping or clippings in beds on small to medium residentials would be a huge time savings.

Upsides:
    • Trim both sides
    • Even discharge of grass
    • Never have clippings in flower beds
    • Little to no clippings on driveway, street, sidewalks, etc...
    • Requires less power since the deck is more open (less airflow restriction). Saves on gas.
    • Great for cutting tall over grown properties.
    Downsides:
    • Will cost a little more due to extra baffeling if done correctly.
    • Does not mulch as well as side discharge, but will discharge much better.
    • Can't really use a bagger, but who does anyway.

2. dmc456

One more benefit, deck stays clean from grass clippings.

I just purchased a Toro 455-D 126" mower with a rear discharge. What a huge time savings from just not having to clean up after mowing. Now I want the same design on my ZTRs.

No blowing with this design period....

3. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, Glad I'm not the only lunatic here who is into these decks!

I recently bought a John Deere 997, 60'' rear discharge.

I have had many doubts about my purchase, many, and aired them here, but as time goes I am growing to understand these decks, they are soo much quicker, much wider work scope.

I was always dissapointed with the clipping dispersal, but was set on leaving side discharging....

WELL, today I took the mower into dealer to get a few things checked, and a repair done....news break! J.D released new deck settings! So they re set from scratch the deck.

Tested it in a paddock....wow!

Got home, tested it on my grasses on a new vacant estate behind us, even despersal! top notch finish!

So, now that J.D has finally got these decks running well, they are definetly the deck for the future!

Mate, any chance you can post a pic of under your deck please, I'm keen to see how the baffling was designed....

4. dmc456

Anyone else have any comments on this idea?

5. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

can you post a pic of under your deck please as I'm keen to compare baffling etc to the john deere design....

Apparently toro is going to produce a rear discharge ZTR in the next year, so goes to show the demand is increasing.