Input on rear suspension airbags for light trucks.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Exact Rototilling, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Ok...other than buy a different truck as being the best option, what has been your experience on these types of systems for added load carrying ability and leveling?

2. Falcon50EX

Falcon50EX LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

What is a light truck? I have a F150 and would like to get a set. One of the guys i work with has had a set for 8 years and never had a problem.
  3. doyles

doyles LawnSite Member

i talked to some people about this idea before and the only real problem with this set up that if you have a air leak you will always have to add air and i think when you are unloaded you might want to let the air out to sofen out the ride
  4. Falcon50EX

Falcon50EX LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

Fix the leak and yes you let the air out if you are not loaded. There is a simple air valve like the one on you tires to fill and deflate. Put the valve in a simple location or get a DC airpump.
  5. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

Buy them. Night and day difference makes the truck much safer going down the road. Well worth the money.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I'm just going to sport for the entire package including the dual needle gage control plus air compressor for both my Toyotas. I've run the air leak scenario in my head and the fiddle factor of more air or less air will waste too much time.

BTW check out the Aviation thread in the off topic fourm.

7. G. Ramey

G. Ramey LawnSite Senior Member

The ambulances I ride on have airbags and never have leaks. I think the airbag companies make their products out of some really tough materials. One of the ambulances has 180,000 miles on it with no airbag problems.
  8. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I kicked the airbag idea around for our F250 when we bought it. I decided to go with more rear leaf springs. I chose to add more leaf springs because it also made the truck stronger/stiffer from side to side as well as the ability to carry more. IDK, like a few guys said, the possibility's of an air leak, possible problems with air compressors just swayed me to get more leafs installed. Now we have to do the same thing with the F350 srw we bought. I never thought we would have an issue with a F350 but theres only 1 more leaf to begin with over a F250.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i have a set on my 2500HD. there great and really help level the truck out when its loaded
  10. rodzilla94

rodzilla94 LawnSite Member

i have a minitruck with air bags all the way around it i have installed the for 10 years plus. when you get the system (the one you bought is the best set up) just remember to use ONLY the liquid thread compound only do not use the tape it can break off in the system and mess up everything. now with leaks if you use the plastic line (1/4 is fine for helpers) just make sure you cut the line straight if a little off with the cut and it could leak. just remember give yourself alot of moving room with the line and use common sense to attach the lines to the frame 3162fc0c4179.jpg