1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Input on the Exmark 32inch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stevo22, Aug 16, 2002.

1. stevo22

stevo22 LawnSite Senior Member

For those of you out there that have the exmark 32inch cut, what are your feelings on pulling power. I am 6 2, 220lbs. I realize I might have to compensate on steep inclines, but I am sick of walking. The reason I am looking at the 32 deck is that most of the fence gates will not let the 36's inside. I might even look at getting a flex deck down the road. Also, your input on the overall performance of this mower. Thx....
  2. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I can tell you that I'm bigger than you and my 32 Bob-Cat gear drive with 12 hp pulls me with jungle wheels. Naturally, steep slopes are out of the question but, it does just great otherwise. One thing, make sure your idler pulley is set correctly for best results. This mower will be for trim when I upgrade and the jungle wheels will go on the larger mower. I was worried about the light front end also but, the jungle wheels design pressures the front to stay down unless you're going up a steep hill (which should be walked anyway). I've decided that I'll change the oil more often because of the added strain on the engine so I bought one of those quick change twist thngs that replace the oil plug. Best thing since sliced bread, just slip a 1/2" tube over it, twist and drain the oil. Anything over a 32" with jungle wheels would need more hp I believe.
  3. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

stevo22 are you sure that you can't get a 36" mower into the gates? i thought i couldn't either but i decided to measure all the openings and found out i had an overwhelming number of gates i actually could get a 36 through. what i did was i took a peice of pvc pipe and cut it to 42" then made marks at 36" and 34" and 32"
  4. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I searched on here and reviewed the differences between 32 and 36" mowers for a couple of months.

1) Go to Home Depot, and in their Tape Measure section, there is a 36 inch tape measure (that is actually 40 inches total), that goes on a keychain. It costs $2.99. Get one and stick it on your keys. Not only will you be able to accuratly and easily measure ALL of your gates, but you won't need a PVC pipe cut to length to carry around with you (although a good idea), and you'll find yourself measuring other stuff just because you happen to have a 3 foot tape measure on you at all times.

2) I bought the 32". First off, I have NO trouble going thru any gate, whereas with a 36, I WOULD of had trouble. Remember that a 32 is really like 32.7 and a 36 is somewhere around 36.7 or 36.8 if I remember right.. What's ".7" inches? Well, matters ALOT when going between solid metal post to post and you're 5/8ths of an inch too fat to get in. <G>

3) Some on here will reply saying that they can get their 42 inch machine thru a 32 inch gate by turning the machine sideways, and doing acrobatics with the machine to get it in. Granted, that probably can be done.. But I'm a Clutz and I know I'd drop the mower which weighs 450 lbs approx right at the critical point and snap off someones wooden fence post at some point or time..

4) If you get a 32, then a 48 in the future will be the next machine to upgrade to. I assume you have a 21" already cause almost everyone does.. So to have a 21-32-48 in the arsenal is the pefect setup. You can do super small, gates and wide open.. If you go 21-36-48, you can still do super small, get stuck on some gates with the 36, so you might as well drop those accounts and use only the 48...

5) Let's talk Exmark. I have a Metro, 32", gear drive, 12.5 Kawi engine, with pistol grips. I am 6"2 and weigh 180-185. I added a pro-slide (dura-slide) about 1 week after buying the machine. The machine has performed for me, absolutly flawlessly, without problem or incident, but then again it should be fine since it's less than 1 year old. <G> Do a search on here for discussions about the pros/cons about pistol grips VS ECS system. I've only used pistols and have had no problems, other that have used both say that ECS is like a dream, others don't give it quite that much praise. <G>

The Dura-slide system that I have put on in case you don't know does not have wheels like most sulkys/velkys. I compare it to a tractor-trailer MUD FLAP laying on the ground and you stand on that and get pulled around. It feels weird at first, but is very very smooth and the entire day you feel as if you are surfing and/or skateboarding, which is kinda cool. To back up, you step off the dura-slide and it is spring loaded so it folds up under the transmission/gas can area so you can backup, etc. I'm at the point now where I very very seldom, if at all, ever have to backup. I would buy a dura-slide for every machine I ever get, even though I've never used a wheeled one. I'm very impressed with the dura-slide setup overall.

When I first got the machine, it pulled me absolutly fine and dandy without any problem. Taking off in 5th gear the wheels would lay rubber and you'd have to hold on cause it does jump out pretty quick.. But that's only in 5th gear.. <G> I was surprised once and now I really don't even go in 5th gear too much, all my cutting is done in 4th.

The transmission pulley-drive belt stretched on my machine after about 1 month, which I'm told is a very common thing to have happen. I posted a message on here what to do, simply because the machine could no longer pull me as strong as it used to and even in 3rd gear, it'd be trying to go but just couldn't get going due to belt slippage. With what was literally a 15 second adjustment to re-tension 1 bolt, the machine was like it was brand new again, and has been fine since. I think someone else mentioned the idler pully adjustment, and that's all it is/was.

I installed the mulching kit in early June, I think it might of been the weekend AFTER Memorial Day weekend. I have not taken the kit off yet, my customers don't even notice, and I will be going to the double blade setup using Gators when it comes to leaf time to see how that goes. I did put double blades on to see if the machine can turn them and it can with no problem; I took the doubles off because I had on the original stock blades followed by the Mulching blades and that setup caused so much lift and dust galore, I think a SCUD Missle landing in the desert causes LESS dust. <G> Again, I'll try doubles with the reccommend (by people on here) Gator blades and see how that goes.

I also have the metal, 3 bushel I believe it is, grass gobbler grass catcher so if I take off the mulching kit, I can bag if need be.

If you want to know anything else, feel free to email me at doogiegh@optonline.net. I'm not a mechanic so I can't answer those questions, but being I have the machine you're looking it, if I can help, let me know.

5. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Add the Flex-Deck to your 32" WB and you will have a 50" mower.

When hooked up into transport, the flex-deck only adds 2" of width so you are at 34"

It will also do all the trimming and contour mowing you have always dreamed of.

Thanks, Brad
  6. stevo22

stevo22 LawnSite Senior Member

aiellandscaping--i have measured all of my gates...of the 14 gates my 36deck will only fit in two of them..i have even tried lifting by hand and spitting on the sides for lubrication and shoving it through..no avail..if i could just track down the numskull that built the 3ft gates smaller than 36inches i would be in business and he would be walking w/ a limp...

thx all for the input...will prob be purchasing the 32 deck before the start of next season...