Input on the JD ZTR diesel...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by djflats, Jun 13, 2009.

1. djflats

djflats LawnSite Senior Member

Is anyone on here familiar with the JD diesel ZTR? I'm not sure of the model number(997?), it's supposed to be new.
    I work at an electrical utility and during the cutting season I maintain around 35 or so substation yards. Our Kubota tractor is on it's last leg after 15 plus years of service. They are probably going to replace it with the JD diesel ZTR. Anyone have any comments on the JD? How it handles high grass(weeds @ times), slopes, different terrain, etc. Thanks for any help.
    [​IMG]

2. BCNU

BCNU LawnSite Member

I run one and it is a great mower. Have 2 freinds that run them also. Plenty of power,great on fuel and leaves a great cut. The 997 is not a new model it has been out for a few years. Good luck on you purchase!!

3. djflats

I know ZT's aren't made for steep grades but does it do ok on hills, slopes? I'm talking about gradual slopes. I run a TANK at home and cut some hills and know it's limitations. Thanks.
    BCNU...what size deck is yours'?

4. BCNU

BCNU LawnSite Member

I have the 72 inch deck. This is a heavy mower so I am always careful not to go to fast down slopes but this is the case with most ztr's, especially when a little wet.

5. KCfireman

KCfireman LawnSite Bronze Member

You'll love the quality of Deere. I've ran them for 4 years and haven't had any problems except for a flat tire yesterday.:( Excellent machines, cut quality at its best.

6. djflats

Thanks for the input guys. I haven't ran a Deere before so I'm doing a little "research" of my own. I'll be using the machine 95% of the time. I've been using ZTR's for the last 7-8 years so I know how to use them, just curious how this one will handle. The substation yards I cut have all different types of terrain. As with any machine, I'll use it and get use to it. My choices were the Hustler Super Z or Z. There's a JD dealer close to our headquarters so I think they'll go with it. I've only used TANKs and a few Hustlers so I'm not familiar with a lot of them. I get a lot of my information from you guys on here. Thanks again.

7. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

We have 2 60' and a 72" 2005 issue

Given their height they are not great slope machines. they function best in open terrain. Our smaller machine has been re-equipped woth Carlilse Trac Chief's this has helped with traction.

8. djflats

That's one reason why I may have chosen the Hustler Z...you sit lower, lower center of gravity.

9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

i use my 997 72" on slopes that will make you pucker, never had any problems yet. Great machine, I want another one.

10. djflats

Good, I like to hear that.:laugh: