Input Welcome for Walk - Behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MJS, Sep 25, 2006.

1. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

[B]I am looking at getting a 36'' or 48'' walk - behind for my lawn biz.[/B]

I have never owned a 48'', but I have used Toro's and Snapper's in my business,

So the Q. is:
    36'' or 48''?

Snapper, Toro, or Exmark? (I have had good expeirences with both Toro and Snapper commercial mowers)

15 Hp or 17Hp? (I am probably getting a Kawasaki engine)

Used or New?

Input welcome; I just want to know what other Pro's think.

2. jdramr4

jdramr4 LawnSite Member

You should check out gravelys 48 very fast and great cut.
  3. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

First I would have to recomend to do a lil searching around on this site. Secondly you need to look at what dealers you have close by and factor that into your choice.

36 or 48 ? Well that depends on your lawns. Alot of gates ? Horsepower IMO you are always going to want to get as much as you can get or afford. 17hp for a 48 is fine IMO

We use Hustler Walkbehind and have found them to be SOOOO much better than the other brands. If Hustler isnt an option then look at toro's with the t-bar controls. Exmark makes a great machine minius the ECS controlls. Make sure you try every mower that you can.

Dealers around here are a Pain in the A$$ when it comes to getting a demo. Ive been working on getting a new Hustler demo for a month now and they keep blowing me off so be prepared .
  4. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

What Is wrong with the ECS controls.?
  5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I'll second this but you might want to use exmarks solid high lifts.
  6. TriCountyLawn

My problem with ECS controls is that you cant run them one handed. One hand gets pulled off of the controls the mower is out of control. There are a pain to duck under trees with. Have fun backing one on backwards and turning it sidways on a trailer with little room to stand. Or that overgrown hedge row that you dont really want to trim so you try and get the mower close as ya can but you cant cause ya have to use BOTH hands.

Hustler or a Toro T-bar for me.

When I first bought walkbeinds I got two 48" exmarks, didnt even demo them cause of ALL the good things I read on this site ect. How wrong I was.... After 5 months I sold them and decided to get my head out of my behind and demoed every mower available. No other brand comes close to the Hustler.
  7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

8. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

MJS... What part of STL do you mostly work in?
  9. Bingham Brothers

Bingham Brothers LawnSite Member

I had a 36" toro and when I got a new one I went with a 32" because a lot of my properties have gates that the 36" wouldn't fit through. I have been happy with the toro. Kaw. 15 hp engine.
  10. TriCountyLawn

I know what your saying but a Hustler or a Toro you can control EVERY action of the mower one handed. Hard to explain I guees.