insect identification problem in south MS

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Stonewall, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

While inspecting areas that have all the signs of chinch bug damage in mostly St. Augustine, I've found some chinch bugs but a greater population of a gray insect that looks like a cricket. The body size is similar to an adult chinch bug, with antenna that are half or two-thirds longer than the body. I haven't noticed any wings or any other markings besides being gray. A friend in TX wonders if it's not a mutated chinch bug. I haven't found any pictures of it online and I don't have any to post here.

Any suggestions and remedies?

2. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

3. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like a beetle

4. Stonewall

It certainly doesn't look like any beetles I've seen. These are 1/8 inch long at most and shaped more like a cricket or maybe grasshopper except they seem to be all gray. I haven't looked at them under a glass to get a better description. I don't think have wings. Sorry I don't have any pictures.

5. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey Jonathon Hope your season is going well. We just need some RAIN!

I do think what your seeing is southern mole crickets. I have noticed the lawns we applied the turf ranger pestacide to in order to control fleas and ticks dont have this problem but untreated lawns show some signs of damage as well especially the St Aug lawns.

Im sure there is something better out there to treat them with but so far this has worked for me. You can get it at farm depot or I get it a bit cheaper at Don's farm store in collins. I think its around 8 bucks per 5k sq ft bag if Im not mistaken.

Bass and bream are hitting in my pond. Come on up lets cook out some ribs and catch some fish.

6. seaweed

seaweed LawnSite Member

i thought mole crickets were big enough to shoot with a .22- over an inch long?

7. southernsprayguy

southernsprayguy LawnSite Member

There is a Prosource One rep that lives in Hattiesburg that could help you identify this particular insect. Send me a PM and I will give you his number.

8. Stonewall

Thanks for the help.

I talked with Drew here at ProSource One and he said he hadn't seen what I was describing. He called the rep in N. MS--Rob Webb--and he thought they were mole cricket nymphs. The are no mature mole crickets around and I don't see any evidence of tunnelling. I really need to capture some to be able to look at them closer, but I haven't found a description of what I'm seeing anywhere.

Billy,

It is dry here and hot. How big is your pond?

9. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Very hot and dry however I got rained on today and it was 97 degrees. Not fun

Im only 20 minutes away from you and much of my work is in your same area too. Our pond is about 4 acres give or take. Went fishing for a bit early this morning and nothing was biting good. Few bass in the 3 to 4 pound range and thats about it. We are getting ready to put about 3 tons of lime in it to help with the grass problems.

Just like you im having a real hard time finding good help. Seems like all the good guys are down on the coast or off shore now. If all goes well we hope to be out of landscaping and maint within a year or 2 and just do lighting.