1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Insect repellent Plants an other stinkers

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Ric, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

What are some stinky plants??????

I had a strange Request from an older customer. They are seeking Smelly Plants of all kinds. My first reaction was Night Blooming Jasmine since I personally hate that smell. But Night Blooming jasmine draws in Bugs.

Society Garlic and Confederate Jasmine also come to mind. But my sense of smell has never been great so I need some help listing plants that stink either good or bad smells.

2. There's this vine at one of my customers neighbors that has a bad odor...maybe Rangoon creeper??
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. gunsnroses

gunsnroses LawnSite Senior Member

Check out scented geraniums....many to choose from
    Moon flower....best smell on earth
    chocolate flower...yellow with black center, I can find a link if you need
    camelion plant - houttuynia - stinkest pile of crap ever---can be invasive
    pineapple mint, chocolate mint...orange...many mints
    tons of smelly sage
    lavender, rosemary
    santolina
    lemon grass
    hyssop
    eucalyptos

4. gunsnroses

gunsnroses LawnSite Senior Member

5. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Skunk vine stinks, but I don't imagine they want that :D

Lantana smells. Nandina can smell like cat piss at times. Some viburnum have a strong smell. Add marigolds to the list of small plants. People plant them around their veggies to keep bugs away.

6. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Just picked up 75 Society Garlic for a site that has a very abundant deer population, they won't touch it. My hands are still stinking from handling it and I have washed them several times.

7. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Not really stinky I guess it is point of view but if they are wanting to keep pest away how about tobacco plants?
    Henbit - is general pesticide plant
    Catnip - is suppose to repel ants.

If smelly is all they care about how about sweet almond shrubs - I enjoy this one as it is a sweet yet light scent.

As far as pest repellent i think if we new what pest in general that may help answer the right choice in plant material.

Here is a link that has some of the companion plants that also list the pest to help lower the population.

http://www.naturalyards.com/help/question/deterrent_plants

8. greenpoint

greenpoint LawnSite Member

Wax myrtles are natural mosquito repellents...