Insect repellent

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TJLC, May 7, 2003.

1. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I was out mowing today and was getting bit all day long. I was wearing Repel 29%. I was wondering what some of you guys use and what seems to work the best for you. Any homemade mixes? Thanks for any help.

2. Muskoil 95% DEET, the more DEET the better it works

3. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

I just had a friend turn me on to "Bug Guard Plus" from Avon, and I'm very glad for it. Go ahead and laugh if you must! We have standing water all over the place in my area this spring & already a huge mosquito problem. Bug Guard contains no Deet, claims to be "safe for the entire family", except for "children under 6 mos. of age", and does WORK LIKE A CHAMP. I was mowing next to a swamp the other day and had zero bug problems. Also comes with SPF 15 & about $4.50 for a 4 oz. spray bottle, which dries instantly when you apply.

The active ingredient is butylacetylaminopropionic acid 7.5%.

4. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

The bugs don't get bad here in the city but when I go to cottage country during blackfly season I wear a "bug coat". They are white and have a hood with a screen that goes over your face to keep the bugs out. The only problem with these are that you can get too hot in them on a warm day.

Ray

5. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

For years people used Skin So Soft from Avon and still do. Avon said it did not work but last year they came out Bug Guard Plus. What is it? Skin So Soft with a different label?

Deep Woods Off worked pretty good last year but I try to get as much deet as possible.

TJLC must have been in the Isles as they are getting hungry over there.

6. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

nelbuts -

Yup, it's like the new & improved skin so soft, which in my opinion didn't work worth a hoot. Bug Guard is the real deal. Try it and you will be glad you did.

7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks to all who have replied so far. I will check into these suggestions, again thanks.

8. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

My vote is ashamedly for Skin so Soft.