Insecticides that won't harm grass

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by fmeadow, Jul 14, 2005.

1. fmeadow

fmeadow LawnSite Member

Hi,
    I am having a problem with ants crawling on my sidewalk adjacent to my lawn. is there any type of commercial insect spray that I can use without
    killling my grass.

Thanks

2. A.T.A.K

A.T.A.K LawnSite Senior Member

Talstar or Merit for long term control. If the ants are the only insect you are after try a simple bait. But with out knowing what ant you have I can not say which product will better serve you.

3. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I do not know of any insecticide that hurts grass.

4. A.T.A.K

I think he is refering to Phytotoxicity

5. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Merit is not going to control ants unless they are eating the grass. Talstar, Astro, Deltaguard, Sevin, etc. should all do the job.....

6. A.T.A.K

Last time I checked Imidacloprid Is also a termiticide, which bonds to soil. With that said if it is put down with the right volume of water, you will create a barrier that ants will not pass through.

7. MikeD520

MikeD520 LawnSite Member

You are partially correct, however, Merit does not control ants via a soil barrier. It controls aphids and other sucking-insects that ants tend in order to have a supply of honeydew that is supplied from the secretions of these plant-sucking insects. That being said, if you remove the food source of a particular pest you will aid in controlling of that particular pest.

8. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Are any Imidacloprid products labelled for ants?

9. MikeD520

MikeD520 LawnSite Member

Premise for carpenter ants.