Insert in the Irrigation & Green Industry mag

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Flow Control, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Got my recent issue of Irrigation and Green Industry magazine and on the front page of the insert you see and ad for irrigationdirect.com for a timer, module and valve. I understand how this happens since I have family members that own international companies. Do you fault Hunter or China's policy or lack there of?

2. I at first didn't understand the point that you were making so I did go to there site.

(copy cats of hunter)
    As long as the quality is there, customer service, Why not consider the purchase of these units?

Heck, at the rate I use pro-c timers, $15 difference means a lot for me. I could probably get my timers within a day.

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like how Orbit makes copy cat PGP's.

I'd stay away from them. Hunter probably sold off the patent rights to this company.

4. I would take second look for the simple reason that it's not really a Chinese company but somebody who has been big (at least in the California Scene). The owner of irrigation direct company, started out small but you may know the company that he just sold\left, Horizon Irrigation based out of Phoenix, AZ.(stores all over the western states)

I personally think that this company is an outgrowth of what he did at Horizon by providing a house brand (Turf Gro I believe). For example, the house brand fertilizer that they sell is the same exact chemical compound as what you would find in Best (simplot) turf supreme. I believe the Turf gro pop up sprays are the same specs as hunter spray bodies.

As you correctly assumed, I.D. probably did pay some kind of license from Hunter. Another way to look at it, is hunter selling off a product with value so they can concentrate more on newer technology products or pull the full value of the product out?

The model that orbit runs, they must be doing something right because I see more orbit than I do any other brand in a residential setting.

5. Dirty Water

Thats because you have a lot of home depot shopping ignorant hacks doing your irrigation.

I love Orbit, especially when I get to charge a lot of money to replace a lot of failed heads.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Is Orbit making their own copies of the PGP? Or might they be buying them already manufactured by Hunter?

7. Dirty Water

They look to be their own copy, there are small changes. The threaded collar has a slightly different shape, and they use green rubber for the cover. However, they use the same nozzle tree and the same adjustment key.

Orbit Voyager:
    [​IMG]
    PGP:
    [​IMG]

8. Wet_Boots

That could all be done beforehand by Hunter, with the idea of their getting some of the Home Depot money, without actually placing their brand in the stores.

9. Dirty Water

Well, the reliability doesn't say Hunter :)

You would think that if Orbit was inbed with Hunter they would have their own copy of the Pro-C, but they have this POS:

[​IMG]

10. Wet_Boots

I'm thinking of the Orbit/PGP as possibly being entirely a Hunter production, strictly for Hunter to get some home center money without having to deal with them directly. No relation to other Orbit stuff. Kind of like the L.R. Nelson company reselling Richdel valves molded in the Nelson dark green color.