1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

insert vs. dump truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jbroderman, Jan 13, 2014.

1. jbroderman

jbroderman LawnSite Member

i have 35 accounts and have been growing quick. I started last year, and the dumping grass and dealing with mulch and soil on the trailer has not been the best on my back. I have a 2500HD and could put a dump insert in it. I also want another truck for back up since my 2500 has 100k. I am willing to buy a nice(but not too nice) dump truck. I have been growing plow and salt customers too. So I thought I might need a bigger truck to sell more salt jobs. Sorry I'm all over the place but what's your advice.
    Dump insert?
    Dump truck? 3500 or f450
    Advantages and disadvantages, thanks
  2. jbroderman

...and what is your thought on plowing with a 2wd dump with a salt box in back?
  3. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Dump truck is the way to go if you staying for the long haul.
    If you look for Ford F450 look for those with the 7.3 powerstroke Stay way from the 6.0
  4. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Plowing on small Lots you can get way with.
    I would look for 4x4 on dump if you have plow route.
  5. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

Get a F-550/5500 (19,500 GVWR). As long as your lots are flat and you have weight over the rear you should be fine.
  6. phoenixsteeler

phoenixsteeler LawnSite Member

Dump truck don't waste your money on the inserts
    I would go with 4x4. 2wd in the snow dosent work well in heavy snows
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. Barrett Landscaping

Barrett Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are only thinking of getting a f350 dump just go with the insert. If you want to get real capacity go for a f550 sized truck that can actually carry some legal weight in it. Too many people get f350 dumps and max them out and end up wearing them out fast or getting pulled over for being severely overweight. I do not have experience plowing with dumps but would recommend 4x4 given what I do with pickups.
  8. Monroe74

Monroe74 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a f350 with an insert while it is nice, my next truck will be a dump body way less sheet metal to dent up. No matter what size truck you get know it's limits. Just because you can put it on there and it doesn't look like it's squatting doesn't mean your not abusing the truck.
  9. jbroderman

thanks for the info. Now my next question...Gas or diesel? I know how to work on gas engines but not diesel. I know diesel pulls better and better gas mileage. if I go with a 450/550 I have heard like you said to stay away from 6.0l power stroke. they still want 20 grand for a 7.3l and they are 12 years old or older? I know nothing about the v10 gas or Chevy 8.1 but Chevy motors are always good. what are your thoughts- thanks
  10. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Are you going to out grow a insert?

Consider a dump trailer?