Inside location for double check BP.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Apr 25, 2005.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

Does any one have experience with inside location for Wilkins double check in freezing climates? Do they spit when started like the Febco's?

2. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

I am sure that someone here has more knowledge since we never use them. But I believe that double check back flows do not dump and that is attractive for indoor installation.
  3. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

A DC doesn't "spit". Every RP I've every used does. brand not specific. And, if you can't afford the water that it "spits" on initation, what does the guy who has to test it do? Even a DC needs to be vented for a test, and I HATE having to bucket the water :cry:
    Have done a few dentist offices with the devices in the ceiling, what a PAIN.
  4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

..and counter any 'it's ugly' arguments by emphasizing the need for outdoor access, for testing and maintenance. Also, plan ahead by reserving some water pressure in your designs, in the event that a double check valve needs to be replaced by an RPZ - when plumbing codes change, they will get stricter, and old work won't necessarily be allowed to avoid compliance.
  5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

If they say it's ugly, compare it to the outdoor gas meter. At least here they are right next to the house in most cases and, and bigger than the RP or PVB. It may not be visually pleasing, but outside is best in my opinion. Upsell them on some of the decorative rock covers to hide it.
  6. HooKooDooKu

HooKooDooKu LawnSite Member

Upsell them on some of the decorative rock covers to hide it.

Just install it underground in a meter box if you want it out of sight.
  7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I was thinking of the RP, and it can't be below ground in a box. I guess DCs can but we can't use them here so I wouldn't know.
  8. Oly

Oly LawnSite Member

As far as what you can use in Bismark I am not sure, but as a backflow tester my schooling tells me that I would not install a double check on a irrigation system because it will not meet code in my state (wyoming) or many other states that I know of. However I would check with the water department and ask them what they would recomend, that way they are happy and you are happy in the long run because you are following code. As far as a double check in a box in the ground.. I wouldn't do it.. it was legal here in Cheyenne WY until 1999 and then it all changed and I installed about 200 PVB's in one year on systems that had a double check... I ended up just leaving the double check in the ground.... put the PVB upstream from them. I have about 5 of the damn things still sitting around my shop from places I had to remove them....

Good Luck