inspection sticker for my trailer ?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by bohiaa, Mar 23, 2011.

1. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

yesterday I got pulled over by the Texas hiway dept.

he looked everything over perty well, and sited me because my tandom trailer was NOT inspected.

I didn't know it had to be ?

2. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

That's news to me you sure he didn't make it up. I had one pull me over and wanted the insurance card on the trailer took his supervisor 30 mins to explain to the moron trailers are covered on the trucks policy.

3. ParkWelding

ParkWelding LawnSite Member

Like many things, trailer inspections may vary by state.

In NY the trailers get a yearly inspection. Also any of my trailers registered and titled under the company's name need to be on the company's business auto policy, and have their own proof of insurance.

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am in Texas. you do not have to have an inspection on your trailer unless the truck and trailer are over 26000GVW. Then, it falls under DOT rules and the trailer must have a DOT inspection sticker.
    The officer is mistaken. You need to go contest that ticket if you are under 26000 GVW.

5. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

Mass started trailer inspections last year. Scamming for more money in tax achusetts
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

My larger ones are inspected.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. The Lone Mower

The Lone Mower LawnSite Member

Here in IL, I believe a trailer with a GVWR of 5000lb (maybe it's 5500?) or more has to be inspected every 6 months. Defineatley a TC plate and above requires inspection.

Mines a tandem rated at 7k and is due next month...

Check with the local DMV, maybe they changed the law and you don't know? Happened a few years ago here, when they changed the GVWR of trucks to be inspected from 8800 down to 8000... and yet I still see countless 3/4 and 1 ton trucks plated incorrectly.

Well, good luck with yours no matter what.

8. what is wrong with the trailer.

9. mow4cash

mow4cash LawnSite Member

Its not inspected.

10. well get the papers and inspect it then.