Instachain or onspot-which is better

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by boba, Dec 16, 2000.

1. boba

boba LawnSite Member

I have a 1999 F350 PSD dump and I plan to install automatic chains. Of the two brands Instachain and Onspot which is the better one? Why?

Boy I wish I had either one tonight. Area dirt roads are nothing but a sheet of ice... with the usual passenger cars and their allseason tires!!

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Why spend the 3-4K for those when you can chain up the tires for $125 and 15 minutes?

3. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

First off they are well under 2k for the system. The other thing, is time, one switch they are on or off. Good section of raod, travel at whatever speed is safe. When you need them just switch them on. No 1/2 hour to chain up or down.
    As far as what brand is better, I believe they are comparable, so which ever units you have better dealer network for.
    Dino

4. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

The thing to remember with on-spots is:

You have to be moving over 5 MPH to engage them

Your max speed must be 25 MPH or under.

Geoff

5. boba

boba LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies.

Dino, you hit it...time and ease of use. Also you hit the price-$1500 installed.

Geof, aware of speed limits-thanks.

For me time is very important. I must travel over paved clear rooads to many remote locations and plow up to 1-2 miles of"driveway." Can't be putting chains on and taking them off dozens of time in a storm.