1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

install 1x4 edging

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Stonewall, May 6, 2008.

1. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

We're replacing metal edging with 1100' of benderboard (synthetic) edging soon. I've put in a couple of hundred feet of this and haven't figured out a better/quicker way than using a shovel to dig a small trench. I've never used a bed edger (not sure I can rent one around here), but I wonder if it wouldn't be too much of a gap.

Any ideas?

2. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not quite sure I understand your comment about the gap. A bed edger will leave a 4-5" wide trench that you backfill after the edging is in place. A bed edger is much faster than using a shovel and produces straighter lines and smoother curves.
  3. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

The edging is 1" thick and not really solid enough to hammer in. If a bed edger gives you 4-5", that's too much. I think there's probably some piece of equipment out there that could help enough to speed the job up, I just haven't figured it out yet. Is there some sort of narrow cable laying machine that might work?
  4. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

trench n edge. They are a sponsor on this site. I bought one. I have not used it for much but the bit that i di in my yard... it will leave the perfect trench for this type of job. It will do curves and you can adjust your depth. You may not be able to get one it time but for next time, that is the tool to use.