Install CD player

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by KK, Feb 16, 2001.

1. KK

KK LawnSite Member

I'd like to put an in-dash CD player (Pioneer) in my '83 Chevy pickup. It looks like some cutting will be involved. Does anyone have some recommendations to do a 1st class job?

2. gitzenlandscape

gitzenlandscape LawnSite Member

Take your time. Measure twice maybe three times and cut it once. If you mess it up there are always other ways such as a BIG cover plate to hide your mistakes. Seriously though take your time and if you don't think you can do it take it to a stereo shop and pay them $20-$30 and let them do it.

3. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

hello,

First, look in Crutchfield.com. They have a ton of info on stuff that will fit in your truck.

Next, go to wall mart. They sell a lot of 'adapter kits' that are specifically designed to put a stereo into trucks.

If the truck had a radio, you can probably also get a wiring harness that will plug directly into the factory one.
    Also, don't forget the antenna adapter (most gm's have a different size antenna plug and a adaptor is needed to hook the antenna into a new stereo)

If wal-malt doesn't have what you need, try a car stereo store and ask them for a install kit. Wal mart will be much cheaper, but the stereo shop should have what you need, or crutchfield should definitely have what you need.

good luck,

steveair

4. gitzenlandscape

gitzenlandscape LawnSite Member

What KK was talking about was his 83 Chevy Truck has a shaft style radio and he will have to cut the dash to install a non-shaft style radio. I'm sorry but no one sells an adapter kit for that, the dash just needs cut very carefully. Also I don't think an older GM should need an antenae adpter, back then everybody had the same layouts. I do agree with steveair on the wiring adapter if your factory radio wiring is intact. You will still have to run some additional wires as original did not have digital, memory, etc., etc.

5. mike reeh

mike reeh LawnSite Member

dont rule out the possibility of mounting the stereo somewhere else.. thats what I did in my '77, leaving the factory radio intact, and still operable.. i found an "under dash mount kit" for standard car decks, and i mounted mine on the roof (inside the truck hehe) right between the visors.. wiring is all hidden nicely in the pillar trim, etc.. pix available on request :) just a thought tho... you couldnt pay me to cut up my dash..

mike reeh

6. KK

KK LawnSite Member

Thats right, its got a post style aftermarket radio/casette in it now. I plan to keep this truck for a long time. Once you put a CD player in it, there's no turning back (kinda like buying a Corvette). I see JC Whitney sells a headliner with 4 speakers in it for around $200. Thats more than I want to spend, but if it sounds and looks good, it might be worth it. Mine is a plain-jane truck with no headliner in it now. There are 4"dia speakers in the doors and I would need at least 2 more somewhere to balance it out. Recommendations are appreciated......Thanks.

7. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

I like a good old reliable pair of 6x9 speakers in boxes, behind the seat. I bought my boxes prebuilt and put a good heavy set of grilles on them (behind the seat is also my rigging storage!) and they sound just fine. Of course, I'm running dual exhaust with glass packs and stacks running up just behind me, so if there is any lack of sound quality I'd never notice! If your truck doesn't have a headliner in it right now, check out the headliner with speakers you mentioned and see how it mounts. You may need to get some interior trim pieces out of another truck to hold it up there. Anyone out there ever used one? I'm kind of interested in one of those too, now that I think about it. (In addition to my 6x9's, of course!)

1975 GMC C-35

8. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Member

I put a system in my 82 C-30 and it is very easy. I put it right in the middle of the dash though( not in the original spot) I didnt like how you had look down to tune the radio , adj. the volume,etc. I cut the black peice in the middle at the very top part of the dash. The CD players come with a removable cage that you mount without the player first. Cut the hole, slid the cage in , fold back the correct tabs and that is it for the mounting. Then all you have to worry about are 3 wires(plus speakers and antena) ground, ignition wire(gives power when the ingition is turned on, and a constant power( for memory and clock) and that is it. I put 5 1/4 in. speakers in the doors and 6x9 boxes(pre-made) in the back. It sounds real good for not having a pre amp (just power out of the radio). Not like the system in my Tahoe but thats another story.....

9. beerandcope

beerandcope LawnSite Member

i have just recently put a system in my 73 k20 and kk i had the same prob,em you did, i had the shaft style radio and was installing a cd player. let me tell you that if you dont have a good sharp set of tin snips you'll need 'em!
    my biggest problem was cutting the cover panel, not the metal, to fit the radio. i took the end of the radio and placed it on the panel traced around it and then cut it with a hacksaw. and like gitzenlandscape said "measure twiceand cut once" good luck

10. mike reeh

mike reeh LawnSite Member

ugh. tinsnips? this is where having a cutoff wheel and a sawzall really come in handy, especially for cutting holes for speakers...

mike