Install Controller Inside or Outside?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jbell36, Jul 7, 2012.

1. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

I have come across this thought many times, especially on new installs...Do you guys prefer to install the controller on the inside, like the garage, or on the outside?...To me the outside makes more sense so the customer never has to be home for you to do anything...Is there a reason why most are installed inside?

2. Convenience for the customer and access to an outlet. Every controller I installed went inside the garage. Just the way it was done in Dallas. In blowout country I can see the reasoning to install outside.

3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

In Residential in our area, again DFW the SOP is in the Garage for the reasons stated above. No hard wire or weather proof plug wit covers

4. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Just depends on whats more feasable.. On our installs were about 50/50 inside/outside.

On existing clients of other systems about 95% of controllers are in garages up here

5. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I prefer outside, for ease of adjustments for me etc...

90% of my customers have their controllers outside, it really helps especially when you notice a leak and the customer is at work etc..

6. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

Most here are in the garage but if I do a new install, I put it outside by the A/C, where there is always a plug. Easier for me to maintain since nobody needs to be home.

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Outdoors whenever I could, much easier to service. My guys serviced a system with an indoor clock where we had the garage combination when they were away. What the client did not tell me, was the silent alarm was connected to the garage back door, so ten minutes into the winterize, they hear the words, "freeze, turkey."

8. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

good to hear...i always wondered why most were installed inside, other than if there is no option for power supply outside...we are definitely in blowout country, i always forget we have all kinds of climates on here...to me it would make much more sense for the controller to be on the outside, especially here, for any and everything...some customers want you to do EVERYTHING from simply setting the time to repair to blowouts...i absolutely hate always having to coordinate with the customer

9. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Outside hardwired to a dedicated circuit.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

And bypass the GFI, install a on-off switch in a water-proof enclosure.