1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Install Controller Inside or Outside?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jbell36, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Irrigation Contractor

Irrigation Contractor LawnSite Senior Member

Having to constantly set appointments usually costs me money to the point where we are going to charge an appointment fee. We always try to do appointments on the first stop of each technicians schedule, otherwise we give them a 3 hour window.

Way to many unknowns are in the schedule each day, so we had to either have the guys kill some time or they were late. Maybe it is just me or maybe not, but we have always had trouble with appointments.

I tell the customers that complain over the window, that even huge corporations like Comcast give a time frame. About 50% of the time, the customer is either late or a now show. In the past I have billed the no call / no show to the customer and they always blew a gasket not wanting to pay, but hell I am having to pay my guys and we were there on time as schedule per the homeowners request.
  2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Screw them; you have no way to know exactly what time you're going to arrive. Why,indeed, does Mom and Dad need to be wringing their hands in the driveway waiting for the sprinkler truck? Cripes, we're not the ice-cream guy.
    I've been fired from a couple of sites because the hubby thought, "you just showed up when you damn well felt like it." True.
  3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

if you are going that far install a subpanel with gfci near the controller for a few dollars more
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Hell, why not just call for a new service pull.
  5. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

People with that kind of attitude deserve the service they get. Imagine if "hubby" was getting his hair cut and the stylist just shaved his entire head because there was not enough time to do it right, next "appointment" was in 1 minute. My actual issue is when a customer wants to micromanage. If they truly knew, why call a pro?
  6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Because they are paying you to do a job for them. If you don't like the conditions of the job you are free to walk.
  7. Mike Leary

Yup. One of the slimeball kids stole one of my cone markers last night, what will I do?
  8. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Walk I do. If they need so much control, they do not need me or other pros. My job is not to kiss anyone's A$$. What a fired customer asks for, goes there.
  9. Mike Leary

I had a cool office phone in the day that gave the number of the caller. A buddy with the phone company got me a reverse phone book, so I could see where the cold call was located. Amazing the number of my "self-bailed" clients forgot and called me again for service. How many do you think I responded to?
  10. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i prefer outside for all reasons. most customers dont touch them anyhow, other than to shut off due to rain etc.