install pansies???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bobcatnj, Nov 13, 2006.

1. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

a customer wants winter pansies to border there front walkway. i have to dig out and edge. i was thinking 40 pansies @ $5 per 8in pansie, plus 1 yard mulch,delivery, labor. i was thinking 450.00 does that seem high??

2. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

What is your cost on the Pansies?

Sounds a little high for my area.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know about the mulch but you got to have something good to plant them in....and flowers go in here for $25 per flat of 20. Soil ammendments and bug inhibitors are extra. Does include fertilizer, we done't put down mulch.

4. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

plus plant cost or no?

5. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

they are not by the flat. they are in 8in containers

6. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

ive seen some co's installing pansies with a cordless drill auger bit.

pretty quick

7. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I am going to guess your 8" plant is 2.00 for estimating sake mark up 1.75% brings us to 3.50

Now for the labor to plant. When you calculate this you can't just go at the actual minute that it takes to dig the hole and plant you also have to remember the time to unload the plant space them yak with the client and get approval before planting, and cleaning up and watering in afterwords. I would guess at least 20 per hour maybe 35 if everything is convenient the soil is loose. Lets call it 25 for the guess, I mean estimate. That is 2.4 per minute, an hourly rate of 40 per hour that is 1.60 per plant that brings us to 5.45

Now we need to add in some $$ for warranty, lets say 10% this brings us up to 6.99

Now we have all our calculations done I look at the cost and know I can make a profit at this cost but if the retail cost of this plant is 4.50 I know I can charge a little more and get no complaints from the customer. So I may bump it to 7.25-7.75

You still have to get paid to prep the bed amend the soil fertilize and for dumping and delivery. You can build it into the price and with the info I have just given you should be able to figure it out. You will probably come out to 12 -14 per plant but then you have to explain it all to the client. If you itemize things out on the bill you have less explaining to do.

Use what ever multipliers you want for your costs, the methodology works for most bidding. This is how you arrive at a unit cost.

8. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

It would be about $150 for my area. I wouldnt dig it out ....I would shape the bed with a weed eater then weed it grass down to the ground, spray round up then put 15 bags of topsoil mixed with about 5 bags of compost manure and shape the beds. Then plant flowers and add some booster fertilzer and your done. About 1 1/2 hrs tops.

9. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I get $45 per 6x6 flat. includes plants.... cost is $12 per flat and includes bloom fert.

Sometimes when i want a larger mass of blooms faster (container planting), I will bunch 3 plants together of the 6 pak flat. Makes like 12 4" plants.

10. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

o-so-n-so,
    I get them wholesale for $7 per flat. I get them at Triple J in Nectar.