Install Parts Price Markups

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by zman9119, Oct 4, 2006.

1. zman9119

zman9119 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey everyone...

So what is everyone charging for markups for irrigaiton parts for new installs? I know that this will vary from area to area but I was just wondering the average.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Parts markups on installs? Never heard of it.

3. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we buy at wholesale, and sell at retail... almost100% markup.

4. DeepRoots

DeepRoots LawnSite Member

depends....
    I had someone come by the other day wanting to buy a sprinkler head (pgp), I sold it to them for $16, he was estatic as someone else was going to sell him one for $27.

I was in a parking lot, working on a job, and a customer stopped by, asked if he could buy a Pgp, I sold it to him for $9.45, he gave me a ten. (figure he paid for a $8000 install, why sweat it? plus he probably felt stupid enough for mowing over a sprinkler head that was set 2ft into a flowerbed)

5. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

God Bless You

I have bills to pay and would have not gone under list value. Hope that 8k job was a decent com job and not a residential.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I don't ever mention parts prices when bidding on an installation. The question seems a complete non-sequiter.

If there was ever an instance where an install was done by way of a time-and-material invoice, I would be obligated to collect sales tax on the labor.

7. Ditto what Mr. Boots said...

But when doing the bid....I use a fancy multiplier to arrive at my desired per day profit. Sometimes that multiplier is 2 sometimes it is 5 depending on my desire for that particular block of days.

Translation:

Middle of busy season I desire more per day to make up for screwing up my schedule.

Shoulder season I desire less per day because I need to eat.

Before anyone says I am screwing up the market because each install costs a different amount of money.....please don't bother w/ that argument...we don't have enough server space for either of us to win it.

8. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

I don't use a markup on materials, I figure each jobs materials, labor and overhead then add on for profit at the end.

Easiest way to do it IMO.

9. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

I trust your profit is high enough to be selling those parts close to retail. As for the easiest way, I have every item in the system with retail pricing. Time and materials is the only way to fly...

10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

What about the middle-of-winter-hibernation rate??? :laugh: