Install paveredge before or after laying brick?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by instyle, Apr 4, 2008.

1. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

I have done many paver jobs, and I have always installed the paver edging afterwards. But as I peruse the internet I see people installing it before laying the pavers.

Am I doing it wrong? Why should it go in first? Why not last?

2. leaflandscape

leaflandscape LawnSite Member

It shouldn't go in first, at least I've never seen it done that way. You'd have to be pretty much dead on with your measurements.

3. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

6 of one half a dozen of the other. ICPI doesnt state one over the other I believe. Leaf is right though that you need to be dead on. If you lay it first you dont have to spend time pulling out the bedding sand to get it down, but if you have to move it you could wind up loosening the base after several spike attempts. I prefer to lay curves after and straight walkway runs first. I use a 2x4 cut to size to get even spacing down the runs.

4. Noreast Landscape

Noreast Landscape LawnSite Member

I have always layed paver edging first. I don't know why or even how i started that way but i have never had a problem. i do not think ther is a right or wong way, I ws taught that way ten years ago, and I taught my guys this way. So think it really dosn't matter, as long as the end result is fine.

5. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

what do you guys think of using concrete as edging?

6. Superior L & L

Superior L & L LawnSite Senior Member

The problem with concrete is it cracks and then can move. There are other reason against it but i forget what they are right off the top of my head. This is probably another 6 od one and half dozen of the other questions.
    I know lots of old school dudes still use it.

Oh and edging if you install it at the end you can over lay making it easy to cut in then just throw down the edging right up tight.