1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

install wire for landscape lighting.

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by irrigation lemieux, Feb 5, 2009.

1. irrigation lemieux

irrigation lemieux LawnSite Member

what is the best way/tools to install wire in ground for landscape lighting.

2. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

Most commonly the trenches are hand dug unless you are on a brand new property and you can trench. You are supposed to get your wire 6" deep. Sometimes in rocky soil you have to use a pick axe. In the right soil you can make a slit trench with a sturdy spade or a heavy duty tool that is made just for making slit trenches. I have a couple that Northstar tool makes that JDL ordered for me.

If you have room to, you can rent a mini trencher from EZ trench. It has a disc like a saw instead of a bar and makes a very narrow trench. I rented one lately and we dug 500' of trench 8" deep in about 40 minutes. Big labor saver.

Basically whatever you need to do to get 6 inches. There are lots of contractors that arent getting their wire that deep, but that is the standard.

Hope that helps.

3. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Seeing as you are in the irrigation business, you might be able to pull your main circuits in with your irrigation pipe using a vibratory plow. It all depends on the layout of the lighting system, the irrigation system and how adept you are at planning for circuits and voltage drop. That being said, I have never been a fan irrigators who throw some lighting into the job because they have a trench open. Lighting really is it's own distinct specialty.

4. irrigation lemieux

do you guys install by hand or with a special tool.we do business in the capital region of ottawa ,canada.So landscape lighting is not very popular.we are trying to do more lighting every year.

5. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Most guys I know only install wire by hand..........

6. lx665

lx665 LawnSite Member

I use a bed edger with a narrow trenching blade. It is extremly fast when trenching in wide open areas. In the beds around a house I trench by hand.

john

7. irrigation lemieux

the bed hedger is the same thing of the ez trench....

8. cspurr

cspurr LawnSite Member

Looking for a MANUAL step edger/trencher...We have used the EZ Trencher Groundsaw in this hard Indiana Clay and it works like a CHAMPION...but for landscape lighting it is WAY TOO OVERKILL, and leaves unsightly 1"-3" lines in the customers yards - unless you use a sod cutter first. I might have my local welder make me something if you guys don't know of a TRULY heavy duty step edger/trencher. I think something in the realm of 12-20 lbs. of tool steel would do the trick. Anyone have any ideas? Talk to you all later... -Chris from Tidal Turf Lawn and Landscape Management

9. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

We normally use a flat spade. I saw an item at the Louisville expo I want for longer runs that is a small vibratory plow unit with different blades. It can be used as a small sod cutter with a 6 inch cutter, a bed edger that cuts a v notch about 4 inches deep, or a straight plow/puller about 5 inches deep. the v notch would be nice to cut, lift out and replace when laying more than a single wire pull. It's action kind of reminds me of a sewing machine. It was around 2500 bucks, I cannot remember the manufacturor name, but I am certain if you google wire puller or some similar key word you will land on it.

10. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest