Installation issues?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by NewHorizon's Land, Apr 15, 2007.

1. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

What installation issues do you see with this project? The house was built 18 months ago. The owner is taking the topsoil out bringing new topsoil in and sodding. He may put irrigation in but not sure. He needs a step off the sliding door. From the door to the ground now is exactly 24" and it is exactly 72" wide. I was thinking of 2 8" steps with the Wright Frames system. The patio will end before the downspout and will be about 3' past the dining room area that sticks out further. On the corner by the step he wants a 12' diameter circle kit and the center to be at the corner. The circle will have a 4' table and chairs on it. He wants to have the circle "blend in" with the patio so its a soft turn and not a 90 degree. Using the EP Henry COV I or Old Town Cobble in the "I" pattern for the patio and the circle kit for the circle. Dimensions are Patio: approx 18' long by 10' wide Circle 12' diameter Steps Total of 16" in steps and 72" wide. Cant get pics to load right now. They are too big. Will try to post them asap.

Thanks for any help.

2. NewHorizon's Land

Here are the pics

Patio pic 1 (circle).jpg

Patio pic 2.jpg

Patio pic 3.jpg

3. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Justin - Be very aware of a possible overdig situation. make sure your soil is suitable for compaction in the overdig zone.

chris

4. NewHorizon's Land

Overdig as in around the house to help stabilize? I told the owner at least 10"?

5. cgland

The overdig zone is the area that they"overdug" when they installed the footer and foundation walls for a house. We are on a job right now that we had to dig down to the footer (9' x 5' wide) :cry: :hammerhead: :dizzy: It added 5K to the price of the job, but was necessary to avoid future settling.

Chris

6. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Chris , explain how you determine if you need to dig further.

7. NewHorizon's Land

Would 16" of base (10" "sub base" and 6" of base) and 3' off the house be ok as a minimum?

8. cgland

Josh - The soil in the overdig zone will be very soft or overly saturated. You can tell. In our area we have clay, so the difference between virgin and fill is like night and day.

chris

9. NewHorizon's Land

How would I go about putting the paver lights in this project?