Installation order

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by GrazerZ, Mar 7, 2003.

1. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

We have our first irrigation installation coming up this spring. Looking to get your imput as to what order would be best to do the job in.
    The site is light commercial. We will be installing the trees, plants, mulch, Spreading loam for the lawn and finish grading it, Hydroseeding the new lawn-hydroseeding will be subed out. And also the irrigation for the lawn and mulch beds. Basically everything.
    What have you found to be the best time to do the irrigation in a situation like this? There seems to be differing views, whats yours?
    Thanx for the imput...

2. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

In simplest terms - after getting site to grade and plant beds and locations marked out. Maybe plants, trees and shrubs in??? Before mulch, bed edge installation or creation and finish grading or any seed or sod work. Make sure it is flushed and adjusted prior to seed or sod so there are no surprises and no finished landscape to fix if you have to change or repair something.

3. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

We like to get everything done, except the actual seeding or sodding before we install irrigation. Then we only have to correct areas disturbed by irrigation work. We like to have all edges completed etc. then we can get head heights and locations set right in the beginning.

Since we don't sub anything and usually are doing the complete package for the customer, it is easy to coordinate all of this. Often we are working on several aspects of the job at the same time, progressing throuhg each area of the yard as we go.

Doug
    Austreim Landscaping

4. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

We like to put the irrigation in first, then the border and rock, then trees, then Sod.

If we do it this way, many times we can conceal the valve boxes within the rock. If the rock and border is in, it's much m ore difficult to do this

5. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

I guess everyone has their preferences. I don;t like to put the valve box in the rock. Makes it too hard to find for service, and if you have to dig it up, much bigger problem than when in the turf. Many times I see jobs where irrigation was done first and landscaping later. Heads end up inside the border or several inches outside. Really hard to get them set exactly where they should go, when you are placing then next to an imaginary line.

We also like to get as much of the grading and tilling done as possible before irrigation, as the more of this you have to do afterwards, the greater chance of hitting pipes, wire or heads.

Doug
    Austreim Landscaping

6. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto on Doug's 2nd post

7. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

do irrigation after rough grading...install system, hand rake site, lay sod. cut holes in sod for irrigation heads. make sure you test system before you lay sod. i have been called to many jobs where system didn't work and sod was burning due to lack of water, heads were spaced to far...

many different problems related to this...

also, after sod is installed, have irrigation contractor program timer and adjust heads. some heads might need to be moved.

just my .02