installation questions

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Ed G, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Ed G

Ed G LawnSite Member

design work is completed, gathering parts and getting close to re-doing my entire back yard irrigation with MP Rotators.

Couple questions:

How close to a chain link fence should I install heads?

I do plan on connecting heads to the laterals with no more than 18" of flex hose.

What do you think of gluing the flex hose to pvc connectors instead of using the barbed fittings?

Guys at the irrigation places I have been haunting insist that gluing is THE way to go.

yesterday I discovered that the local Home Depot rents a trencher. $56 for four hours and $80 for the day. Any tips or tricks on trenching you want to offer? I live in Florida and soil is mostly sand.

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on how your fence line is going to be maintained... spraying vs. weedeating, etc. Leave yourself room so you can adjust and service the sprinkler head without getting soaked. :)

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Gluing swing pipe would be an achievement. If it's polyethylene, you won't have an easy time gluing it to anything.

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

i've seen it done. And I've seen it spec'd out on a commercial job. Can't tell how well it worked though.

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I belevie that the glued swing joints is actually just 1/2" Flex PVC, not poly like Swing pipe is.

Regardless, the point of a swing joint is unrestricted motion, glueing that partially defeats it.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You can fuse polyethylene pipe with heat, which is about the only non-mechanical way I'd expect to see it spec'd. In order to glue a plastic, you want to be able to dissolve the surface with a solvent, and just what solvent would you apply to poly pipe to dissolve it?

7. On the trencher, remember you walk backward and not forward.(Yes, i have seen people do this with rented equipment) I would go a little deeper than needed for the simple reason, as you stated sandy soil, your sides will collapse if you stand to close to the edge. It's easier if you don't have to dig by hand and this allows for some slop in the trench.

Regarding the swing joint, the most common reason for a failure is improper installation of the barbed fitting or tubing wasn't cut properly.

I'm now a big fan of Blu-Loc (J.D.L is a distributor) since the trick to them is making sure you slide the tube completely in. When I have to, I would use Lasco's blue twisters, but since this is going to be a one time deal, why not consider just using the pre-fabbed swing joints by Hunter or RainBird? Kind of worth the extra expense for the time savings.

8. WetWell

WetWell LawnSite Member

They have that flex PVC stuff like this, not sure how good it is-

http://www.orbitonline.com/products/product.cfm?id=13477&subcat=2076

On the trencher you may want to cut and lift the sod strips before you run that trencher down the line so you can replace and heal the lawn faster. Also be sure you mark all established underground lines in the area you work, don't want any surprises.

9. IRRITECH

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

Dirty Water is right. The hose you glue is not typical funny pipe. Works just fine but more of a pain. Use the barbed connectors and run 1/2" connections for your PVC, (it's cheaper)