installation technique

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by scott's turf, Aug 1, 2007.

1. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I had an idea that I wondered if anyone else had tried for installing a system. First use a ~18" auger mounted on the dingo to drill where all your heads would be after gentle cutting out the turf cicle by hand. Then use a pipe puller to pull the poly through all the holes you drilled. This would drastically reduce any hand digging hopefuuly reducing time to install the whole system. Good or dumb idea??
  2. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

I wouldn't go so far to call the idea dumb, but just too time consuming. by time all the little circles for the heads are cut out I could have dug out about 1/2 of the heads in the place, plus once you pull the lines through that will mess up your circle anyhow.
  3. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

We dont pull pipe around here but it seems like you could just take a sharp shooter and dig the hole for the head.

But I guess you could try cause we trench around here.
  4. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

fastest we have found is dingo trench each head.
    then pull the pipe past.
    then trench shovel clean the trench, saddle tap the poly, funny pipe to 1804, and move on.
  5. JB926

JB926 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

i have put my auger on my bobcat and popped out all the heads on larger systems before. If the ground is hard this tech. will blow away any hercules with a shovel. Ever dig up 80 heads in 45 mins by yourself?anyone? didnt think so. Now this is only if there is no turf which is only about 5% of our installs. And we dont trench we pull poly
  6. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Thankyou, grasshopper.:)
  8. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah Hank, believe it or not there are still 1000's of 4" heads used every day. Funny huh?
  9. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

It's the only way someone could dig holes in 00:01:45 per you know, do you, huh?
  10. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

I was mainly referring to the fact that you and Leary use 6" pop-up for turf. Not a slam at you.

I wasn't gonna comment on that aspect 'cause that's just someone blowin' smoke. 80 hd in 45 min.?? Actually that is 00:00:33 per head. Yeah right. Maybe 45 hds in 80 min.