Installed price for a 6,500 sq ft lawn?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by rick1970, Aug 24, 2005.

1. rick1970

rick1970 LawnSite Member

I am thinking about having a sprinkler system installed at my home. If anyone can give me some good advice it would be greatly appreciated.
    What brand do you prefer?
    What type of questions should I ask the installer?
    Thank You
  2. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

In My opinion, the brand the contractor is using is not nearly as important as the way the system is designed and installed.
    Make sure you are using a reputable contractor with at least 200+ installs under his/her belt. Check refrences and avois the low bidder.
    Visit my web site for more info on choosing an irrigation contractor, also view the Irrigation Association site.
    Good Luck!
  3. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

I can agree with everything up to the number of installs as a criteria. How does one know if those 200 are done correctly? I know of several contractors that have been installing for years and their systems are big time crap!! And they have over 200 systems. Putting a quantifying number on a contractor is a waste of effort. Best reference is a friend or relative that has had one installed. Check references is still very important.

Jerry R
  4. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

Hey Jerry, Good point. I guess what I was trying to say is that people that are starting off in the business probably do not install as good of systems as expierenced professionals. I know from my own expierence that the first few I installed were not as good as the ones we are installing today.
    You are right though, there are many contractors out there with thousands of installs under their belt that still install very poor systems.
  5. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Mike - those first systems were something else! The very first one my former partner and I installed took us about 7 days, and we each made about $300.00 That was back in about 1981. We spent more time sitting under the shade trees, drinking ice tea and telling each other how good it was gonna be. (chuckle)

But you know - it is still as much a kick-in-the-ass when I fire up a new install now as it was back then.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

It cuts to the very heart of engineering - <i>"Whoopee!! It works!"