Installing 2" system-tips

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ArTurf, Jun 8, 2014.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

I'll be doing a new install working off a 2" meter with 65psi static. 2" mainline, 2 and 1 1/2" valves. I usually work with smaller diameter pipe 1 1/4" down with 1" valves. What tips & recommendations do you have when working with larger pipe systems vs. smaller?

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Good primer and glue application practices, straight cuts, chamfering and seat the pipe all the way into the socket.

You'll know where to thrust block.

I feel primer application is the most overlooked part of the weld. Take the time to soften the pipe enough to allow proper penetration of the glue.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

PVC sockets are deeper and tend to push out when putting them in, make sure the pipe goes all the way in and hold the glue joint for a bit to make sure it doesn't expand back out.

Larger pipes mean larger liability to possible damage. If it's commercial suggest a master valve and flow sensor

Make sure your design is sound. If you are trenching use straight angles as much as possible. Larger fittings cost more and add up quickly if you need to keep using extra fittings.

Don't cheap out. Some people can get away with going cheaply on a resident system and no one will know of any consequences until years down the road. Stick with good products and make your installers ensure they are taking the extra step to do a quality job instead of slapping it in

4. stebs

stebs LawnSite Senior Member

If you're going to have a long main line, consider upping your main to 2.5" or 3" Also, Extra wire runs are a lot easier to do now than later....

5. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Make sure you wait for the glue to cure before you turn on the water or you will end up like my guys on Saturday. We added 2 zones off a 2" main, I told the guys glue the manifold up first then build the zones. They did it the other way and the 2" elbow blew off while my guy was wiring the valve. I would have been more pissed but it soaked him and I think he had to change his underpants after that.

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

If the job was specced , your dedicated spare wire would be blue. Something to consider.

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

One tool I always missed having at hand when I needed more force to seat a slip connection was a big rubber mallet.

8. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Not sure what you're meaning on this?

9. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

do yall bevel every single joint?

i used to bevel nothing at all, but lately: everything.

The time difference, in my opinion, is incredible.....so.. whats the "real" nessesity (or lack of it) for all this beveling?

10. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

They make conical reamers Rhett.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Posted via Mobile Device