Installing 90 emerald greens

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by daveyo, Apr 11, 2006.

1. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

I'm installing ninety 6' arbs, I get them wholesale for 49 each I mark up a total of 11%, 5% for me 6% for state tax (st8 the customer though). So that's $4895 not including delivery or labor. My question is what is a good install price for 90. No ammendments will be used, and I use an auger to dig all the holes. I was thinking of charging $1890 for install and then deliv. So looking at my end (labor) only, a 5% mark up on 90 plants is 220.50, add labor and delivery at 1965.50 for a total of 2185.50. I've installed many arbs so no freak out about ammending please.

2. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

Are You Giving The Customer A Warranty?? For 90 Arbs Installed That Is Too Cheap, You Need To Reconsider What Your Getting Into . What Happens When 10- 20 Die ?? Let Me Know What You Decide Thanks

3. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

You can not guaranty a plant on a 5% margin. It should be at least a 50% markup on top of your other very reasonable charges. It is a bargain at $10k.

4. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

I wasn't going to give a guarantee. Since there is a sprinkler system and I'm getting the maintenance contract on the property I figured I could keep an eye on them. I should mention I'm also installing 40 holly bushes, and designing the front of the property, I'll be installing wallstone, trees, bushes etc.. That part is not the problem. I'ts the arbs, we already agreed I couldn't guarantee them. Do you think its still a low price with no guarantee, I would like to guarantee them but I'm trying to stick to their budget. I guess I could piece work it, raise my price and guarantee them, what do you think. Thanks for the input.

5. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

I'm installing (12) 6' ers next week. Wholesale is $45.00. I'm charging $112.50 each with a one year warranty.

6. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like my pricing.

7. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

I would be at $8974.13 total without any warranty. If I was to warranty them for a year then I would be at $11845.85

The other concern that I have is that is there any deer in the area where these will be planted? If so then they are going to get really thin and torn up by the deer towards the end of the winter.

8. jasonosu

jasonosu LawnSite Member

just my 2 cents, but consider the source of the trees when you consider a gaurantee. i do some complete new installs and i have had very few plants ever die; maybe 1 or 2 out of every 100. then i decided to track down 2 semi loads of 8'-9' douglas pines from out of state, for the builder i work for. i got them at like 48 or 49 bucks each. i put half of them at his house and the other half were put at some condos by another crew. out of 166 trees, i would guess that about 25-30 of them are dead a year later. they even had a sprinkler system! if that had to come out of my pocket to replace, i wouldn't be happy, but i had no guarantee.
    sorry i can't help you with the pricing, i do a lot of work for the guy and i didn't make any markup, just made a hourly rate for planting the trees.

9. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

Don't be afraid to make money? We plant a semi load of trees in a day and a half $ 15 k to $ 18 K profit augers aren't cheap.

10. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Whatever else you are doing on the site has no bearing on what you should charge to do the work.