Installing a Chopped Stone Border

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Green Elegance, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Green Elegance

Green Elegance LawnSite Member

Hello and good day,
    Just wanted to know if anyone can offer some help with installing a chopped stone border. I am going to use 4inch chopped stone, no mortar, just a dry install. The area is approx 300 linear ft, with some rounded areas.
    What should I charge per lin. ft. and will it require a trench w/ sand, and should I use a brickset to cut the pieces as needed or a wet saw?
    Any ideas.........? Sorry, I am very new to the business of lawn & landscape and I am learning as I go. Just a weekend business at the moment, but have enough work in line for the next 2months.

Thank you,
    Dan

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well Dan if I had any idea of just what you are talking about I would try and help you...Please define "a chopped stone border"??

3. Green Elegance

SheShovel,
    Sorry, chopped stone is basically rectangle stone that comes in 4-8inch width and approx 12-16in in length. Used to create plant bed borders, can be mortared or dry install. Has a variety of uses, retaining walls, pillars........

4. hortiscape

hortiscape LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

Do you mean cobblstone?

5. Green Elegance

This is the Hardscape area correct?
    Maybe my lingo is incorrect.
    Thanks,
    Green Elegance

6. hortiscape

hortiscape LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

I apologize if I seem off base here, but in 19 years of hardscaping I have never heard of chopped stone border.
    Anybody else? How much do they cost? What is the border around or next to?
    What do mean by rounded area's.

7. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

8. Green Elegance

No problem..............like i said I am new, its probably my lingo. Its just a plant bed border, laid in linear fashion with stone, stacked on top, usign a dry app or wet app. Simple as that, just wanted to know an idea on pricing per linear foot. As I said, thanks anyway.........I have my answer already.

-Dan