Installing a Sand Beach with retaining walls

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cashen, Jul 9, 2006.

1. cashen

cashen LawnSite Member

Pictures of yard:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/ethan.roelle/LakeHouse

How do i install a sandy beach?

My yard is 40' at the water and my house is set back about 80'. I would say the house is about 15'-20' higher than the water. So its a nice constant slope. It is all grass (well, green) at the moment.

I want to have about 25' by 15' sand beach and behind that a stone retaining wall that goes up to another level area of about 20' by 15' that is about 4'-5' higher than the beach. OF course another stone retaining wall behind the 2nd tier.

So, high high above the water line do i want the base soil? do i need any special drainage under the sand so it doesnt stay soaked after it rains? i was thinking a layer of lime stone then a layer of black landscaping fabric, then the sand.

I can't find any decent examples of private beachs on the internet.

thanks for all your time

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Put this in the Hardscaping forum and you will get some good answers for this project. Or better yet the Homeowners Help forum.

3. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to check out he legal issues in doing this type of project before you proceed. There are federal, state , and local laws that will come into play.