installing a tachometer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mopar4u, May 2, 2006.

1. mopar4u

mopar4u LawnSite Member

Briggs 18 Twin II

Model 422707 Type 151201 Code 88102712

I want to mount a tachometer on my rig, can I use an automotive tach? How would I install it?

2. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/gasoline.php
    for a mounted tach, this is the only one im aware of. has a battery, one wire wraps around the spark plug wire, works great. ALL of you commercial mowing guys should have one. has an hourmeter built in.

3. mopar4u

mopar4u LawnSite Member

I looked at your link, which one would I want?

4. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

TT226NR2C. This would be with a non-resettable hour meter.

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Either get the commercial or the original gas tach. I just got my commercial one put on my z a couple days ago. What a difference it makes having the rpms set and being able to know what they are at all times!

6. oldrustycars

see? im a trucker, i have lots of forward gears. i drive by the tach...if its dropping, i drop a gear. if you're rpm's are dropping, slow your ground speed to keep the engine, and therefore the blade speed, up.

7. pgiddy

pgiddy LawnSite Member

I'm doing fine just using my ears for when I need to slow down in thick grass. I wouldn't mind knowing how many hours the engine's been running. The part that gets me is they say the battery is not replaceable. Argh

8. oldrustycars

the battery last a long long time. in fact, i dont recall ever seeing go dead. and if your ears can pick up a 50 rpm drop, thats great.

9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Trust me, you have no clue where your rpm's are by ear lol. I thought the same thing until I had a tach...:laugh:

10. rodneyskip

rodneyskip LawnSite Member
    from KY

Which one would I need for a JD 757? (25 Kawi)?