Installing a winch on your mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ColePyck, May 16, 2008.

1. ColePyck

ColePyck LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

We have a walker MDGHS mower which when full weighs a ton and always seems to get stuck 1 or twice a day, has anyone installed a winch on there walker mower or any other mower for that matter, and how easy and useful has it been?
  2. Danielslawnservice

Danielslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

if any of u do i GOTA see it!
  3. Danielslawnservice

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No but I've thought about it many times :laugh:

The only problem is it needs to have two brackets and be kinda quick remove.
    One in front + one in back, so the winch can be moved if need be.
    That or two winches...
    Because you know it, wherever you put it, half the time you'll need it on the other end.
    That's the only thing that's held me back.

Now I've only gotten mine stuck twice in 2 years, the Wb about as many times...
    As far as seriously stuck, like tow rope and truck kind of stuck.

I'm not saying it can't happen, sure enough and right when I'm not thinking it will.
    But since I KNOW how much a pita it is to get it out...
    I make *&%^ sure it don't get stuck first!
    I will say this took some time, couple of years or so, until I can just look and I know don't go there!

It does help, nobody is perfect but...

As for a winch, I'd pick a Harbor Freight light duty one, don't need a lot of pull, don't want a lot of amp, 12v.
  5. topsites

Another great investment is what I call tow rope, it's not cheap.

The ONLY rope I know of that will stand the test is tree-climber's (or arborists) rope, it HAS to be at least 6,000 pounds test!
    I'm talking you want rope SO strong your truck will fire up both tires on pavement and it don't break!
    Because if that thing snaps someone could die, so it has to be super duty, I recommend 8,000 pounds breaking strength.

Yes, WHEN a rope breaks under tension it's like a rubber band, it has a whiplash effect that can cut a man in half.
    Don't play with this, either get the right one or don't get any rope lol

They're about $100-$200...
    You need at least 100 feet, 150 is better...
    Even with one of those I wouldn't test it TOO hard, but they are strong.

That's what I have, don't recall the exact type.
    Not used very often, but awful dandy when I need it.
  6. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

We use the ratchet straps that secure the mowers to the trailer. The hook on the end is attached to something heavy on the mower, secure the other end and start ratcheting
  7. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I keep a $20 tow strap under the seat in my pickup. I used it to pull my mower out on Tuesday. Ideally you pull with the truck, but sometimes the truck won't reach, so I use another mower. I keep a little cable puller (come-along) in the toolbox for loading a dead mower on the trailer, or pulling out the stuck mower if a tree is nearby.

I plow in winter, so the strap gets used 3 or 4 times per season, pulling people (or me) out of situations.
  8. Danielslawnservice

we are talking about a winch for ur mower to pull u out of spots were ur stuck... read.....
  9. topsites

Hey that's not bad, all you need is two more of those straps you can hook into each other then you got dang near 100 feet long tow rope (then it almost always reaches).

10,000 pounds test, that's what I'm talking about.
    I just might go get me some, that's a good price considering.

Yeah, and we're waiting on you to show us the pics lol.
  10. ColePyck

ColePyck LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I want to put a winch on, My ATV has a winch and a smaller ATV battery, my walker has plenty of steel to mount to and a small battery, I think it could be done, just figured someone on here would have it done already!