Installing Blades on my WB ExMark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by b727guru, Jan 28, 2005.

1. b727guru

b727guru LawnSite Member

Reading the manual last week to learn more about the mtc for this mower; i came across the subject of replacing blades.
    Now, I don't have the manual in fron of me but it seems that I remember reading about adjusting and tightening the bolts to a certain pound measurement. As if I would need a special tool to determine that the correct force was put on the bolt to ensure that it's tight.

Do you all do this, or do you just tighten until it can't go no more???

2. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

i just use an air wrench and put it on the lowest setting of force, then tighten them til they are tight i dont over do it b/c i dont want to break the bolt off. it doesnt take much to get them tight enough to stay on even by hand it can be done easily. i dont measure the lbs of force. hope this helps ya out.

3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Tight is tight, but torquing until it "can't go no more" would probably be too tight unless you were using a very small wrench or are a girlie guy.

4. b727guru

b727guru LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping I wouldn't have to purchase special wrench for this.

5. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Buy a Torque Wrench.... Everyone should Have a Torque Wrench...it's Not a "Special Tool".

6. b727guru

b727guru LawnSite Member

What I mean by special tool is one that measure pounds of pressure to tighten blades...

everybody wants to be a comedian!!!!

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

A torque wrench measures torque in ft-lbs. Your term of "pressure" is not right - pressure is a force per unit of square measure (e.g. air pressure, lbs/sq in). Torque is the measure of rotation resistance or generation. A torque wrench can be bought for 1/2" drive sockets (for 1/4" or 3/8" too) that you undoubtedly already have. Your manual probably includes a specification on tightening the blade bolts, xxx ft-lbs.

Bolt tightening on spindle bolts is not as critical as bolts on an engine, such as head bolts. I am much more careful on those applications, and merely use my 1/2" breaker bar and close-end wrench for the spindle bolts (for me, 15/16" socket).

8. Luscious Lawns

Luscious Lawns LawnSite Member

Hello 727G

I work just up the road in Flowery Branch. Cold weather brought me home today. It's below 30 deg. Exmark blades are self tightening. I've ran them for years and we normally just impact them to about 80 Ft. lb. (Acording to the air pressure setting) You can guestimate a 1 ft wrench pull 80 lbs. 2 ft wrench pull about 40. The blades are such if they slip on the spindle they get tighter. At all costs avoid a loose blade at initial startup. Give me a PM if you hit something strongh enough to kill the engine. It'll tighten the blades to where it's normally easier to cut them off.

Allen

9. b727guru

b727guru LawnSite Member

Thanks lucious.

Have you started advertising yet? I'm thinking of mid to end of February.

10. AssuredServicesCo

AssuredServicesCo LawnSite Member

Exmark does recommend the torque be a specified lb pressure so I've always followed it. Mine as well the dang mowers cost a ton.