1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Installing chain link fence posts

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Tim C., Aug 18, 2007.

1. Tim C.

Tim C. LawnSite Member

I have installed a few chain link fences before. I use to always install the line post set in concrete. But, I found out that the local fence companies just pound them in the ground. In order to be more productive I tried the same thing with a normal t post driver. But I would always mushroom the tops of them, so I would have to cut them off inorder to install the top caps. So, I was wondering if anyone had an idea how to install the posts without using concrete or messing up the tops? I am hoping there is someone here who installs fences this way!
  2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

There are also pnumatic post drivers.
  4. Tim C.

Tim C. LawnSite Member

grandview, that is exactly what I am using. I have heard about the pneumatic, but I was unsure of the cost and what kind of compressor would be required?
  5. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

i use a hammer and a block of oak when i did my fence here at my house...but its real sandy down here in south florida so the poles go in real easy
  6. Oasis-Outdoor

Oasis-Outdoor LawnSite Member

Do yourself a favor and set them in concrete!
  7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

8. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I cant even believe anyone wouldnt put them in concrete, it seems stupid not to, especially those that live in a frost area. It just seems like your setting yourself up for disaster down the road, or re-doing it all in a few years.
  9. Travis E

Travis E LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an uncle that owns a very successful fence business and he always put them in concrete, two 80 pound bags each hole. The only time that he does not put them in concrete in when it is a temp fence and then he just uses his bobcat to push them in the ground. I know that I would put them in concrete if I were you!