1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Installing electric brakes

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by FLC2000, Mar 12, 2012.

1. FLC2000

FLC2000 LawnSite Bronze Member

How hard is it if Im starting from scratch?

I have a dual axle trailer I just bought and DOT requires brakes on it. Do I have to put them on both axles or just one?

Ive gone over a couple websites and it looks fairly easy.

Any opinions?

I called a company called Croft Trailer and they wanted $1500.00. Just trying to save some money.

2. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I would absolutely put them on both axles. I replaced mine about 2 years ago and they were pretty easy. Did you buy just the shoes? or a whole new assembly? I just bought new sets and from what i remember they just bolt on.

3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I would do both axles, its fairly easy and kits to do a whole trailer are out there. You can get electric which is cheaper or the hydraulic which are easier to use and adjust to load weight automaticly.

4. Trailer Parts Superstore

Trailer Parts Superstore Inactive

Give us a call we have everything in stock you would need to setup the trailer with electric brakes.

Regards,
    Chris
    Eastern Marine

5. stonebridge

stonebridge LawnSite Senior Member

it took my about 2 hours to put a set on a axle from scratch. my trailer didn't come with brakes at all so i did it myself, real easy to do. spent more time running the wires nice and neatly that installing the brake asssemblies.