Installing LARGE Evergreens

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by GreenMonster, Feb 23, 2006.

1. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Anybody have experience installing large spruce, fir, etc? when I say large, I'm talking 18-25' in height.

What are the special considerations for planting? Can they be installed into a dug hole like a smaller tree/shrub or should they be installed with a spade? They will obviously be difficult to handle, even with large equipment. I can't say as I'm really sure how to charge for something like this either. Any help would be appreciated.

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

sounds like you need to get a hold of an experienced tree mover, I'm sure transplants of that size isn't something a lot of arborists have done either.

Sounds like $$ no matter which way you go with it.

3. TerraVenture

TerraVenture LawnSite Member

the largest I have installed personally was a 16 ft white pine. We lowered of the back of a one ton into the hole. The easiest method is with a tree spade. The best way is like a normal tree with a hole that is twice the diameter of the root ball so the soil is loose so the tree can get off to a good start. The biggest obstacle is thw weight of the tree and ball you will be looking at 4000lbs plus for something in the 20' range.

4. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Yeah Greg, I was talking to Mike at Northern, and he was thinking anywhere between 6-8K lbs. Maybe a little high, but nonetheless, difficult to move.

I have a calls into Urban and Bartlett. Prolly a sub job.

5. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

make sure your hole size is bigger than the root ball ,Make sure you pull the burlap away from the trunk ,get a big backhoe to set these with, you will play hell with anything else an make sure they get staked !! make sure you do not set too deep! have fun let us know how it goes. thanks george

6. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i have been watching some guys around here transplant some trees that size they have been translanting about 40 trees form 30-40 feet. they have been working on it for months now it is at a doctors house next to the farm that i get straw from. they dig around them let them sit for a few months then dig a hole and move them then just add a small amount of dirt at a time. it has taken a long time for them and they are hauling some of these trees over 100 miles. i think that some one told me the bid for this was around 50k . that seemed high to me till i saw how long these guy take.

7. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

oh yea they haul these trees in a semi trailer

8. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I would think anything over 20 would be too tall for a spade, you know stick out the front. I would crane them especially if you are doing a few at a time, cranes are cheap to rent here. I can get a 24-26 ton I forget which, for about 125.00 for the hour so compare that to renting a tractor and all the chaining and gymnastics to set with a tractor ugh.. cranes have me spoiled. Plus you can easily spin the tree hold it while you are back filling. And cranes are very impressive to the homeowner, they love telling their friends they had to crane the trees in.

9. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Mark
    We have been moving trees for 30 yrs. The size of trees you mentioned could be moved with one of the larger tree spades. In my opinion some guys try to move too big a tree. Not that it cant be done but many dont make it or just never look right after. If time is taken to make sure branches are not broken during digging or transplanting the tree is better off. Even with the heavy rootballs staking should always be done because with watering and any wind they can tip over on ya. We use 4 steel fence posts per tree with heavy wire run from stake thru old garden hose around trunk and back to stake on each one.

Hope that helps if any other questions let me know.

10. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

A 65 Big John will handle those easily, a 90 even easier, be carefull alot fo guys will tell you they can do it with a smaller spade. Not true I've done thousands of them, on a job last year we did over 480 in Indianoplis, Ind. with a survival rate of over 98%. Remember if you use a bigger spade you can always do a smaller tree. We have done 34 ft. succesfully with our 90. If in doubt try some M-roots, or super thrive, to help. Check out who you use, and I agree do not plant deep. Any other questions call me (816) 739-8733 Dave 90, 65, 42, Big John, 30 caretree.