Installing Lawn over Septic

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by roscioli, Jul 26, 2001.

1. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Okay, heres my situation: I have never done a professional install before, only my own yard, which came out very well. My neighbor wants lawn over an area that was built for a septic system, and is covered in at least 6-12 inches of sand fill. Over that they put wood chips down, probably 10 years ago, and haven't decomposed, AT ALL. I was amazed when I went over and pushed some around, to find that there was simply sand underneath and no compost. So, how should I go about this install? I will have to rent a tractor to get the loom moved around, but should I rake up all the wood chips first, or just install over them? This area is at the bottom of a steep hill, which I assume gets some washout, but I will be able to solve that by redirecting it with rocks. SO, should I install over the chips, or remove them? And how much loom should I use? The sand is very soft, not compacted at all over at least 10 years... I was thinking 4-6 inches, am I way off? I need some help.
    And by the way, She called the company that installed the septic, and they said it would be fine (it would support the weight).
    And I am not installing until mid-august or so, when it cools down some. Thank you in advance,, Michael

2. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

Michael - I was in the same situation early this year except for the wood chips. I asked on here and asked several people in this area. Got eveything from "remove some of the sand and put down six inches of topsoil and cover with straw" to "just throw seed on top of the sand - it'll grow". What I wound up doing was putting about 4" of topsoil on the sand. I didn't till it but some advised me to in order to avoid "layering". So far seems to be doing well.

I'd advise raking up the wood chips. If they haven't decomposed in ten years and were laying directly on the ground, I'd suspect they are a hardwood like oak, walnut or cedar. Maybe use it for firewood.