Installing mulch... how do you save the back ache

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ERICKS, Sep 5, 2001.

ERICKS LawnSite Member

I have about 3900 running feet of beds, 3 feet wide, that I need to mulch this fall. This is at 13 different locations. That's alot of mulch!!! Ok how would you do it. I don't have a bobcat. It looks like one heck of a bunch of work to me.

Any suggestions?:eek:
  2. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Hire some help.
  3. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Rent a skid loader. I've never tried a mulch blower, but those may be something you could rent as well.
  4. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

sub it out to a company with a mulch blower. make a little bit of money on it with out doing any back break work
  5. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

Advil and some good hired help!!!!!!!:p
  6. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Wimp! ;)

At 2" you need around 70 cubic yards. With going to that many places definitely sub it out to someone with a mulch blowing truck like Dan said. They'll get it done in a day (as long as the 13 places aren't in too many different towns) and you'll both make money.
  7. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Mulch blower definetely !!! Thats all i use now on all jobs over 10 yards. It is quick easy i make money and done lift a finger except to make the phone call, and it looks better than you could ever get it by hand!!!!!

ERICKS LawnSite Member

I get it!!!! Mulch blower right??

9. scm5300

scm5300 LawnSite Member

Pick up a good used Blower Truck. It will pay for itself in no time and save you a bundle of money in Labor, Material and Time. Your employees will thank you and you will pick up buisness in other markets like playground mat'l installs and erosion and mud control.

Please do not post equipment for sale here!
  10. Yeah, Eric, definatley do the mulch blower. However I have seen the prices for if they have to move around a lot; such as from site to site, or just around 1 site. They charge you, and they charge you well if they have to do anything. Extra hose, extra BS time, etc.