1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Installing mulch with leaf VAC

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by dmc456, Oct 23, 2005.

1. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone ever tried using a leaf vacuum to suck mulch out of a trailer and blow it into the beds?

Basically a low cost mulch blower.

2. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

bad idea.
    10 chars so
    very bad idea. Think about it.

3. dmc456

"10 chars so" ??? What does that mean?

4. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

the thought has crossed my mind but I dont think you could get to far from the unit as it might not be able to blow thru the hose far enough. We had 250' hose on a blower this spring. A leaf vac probably could not go that far.

5. dmc456

Do you use a mulch blower? Why type of blower housing is used. I'm guessing they are similar except the dicharge hose is only 4"-5" which will reduce the CFMs but greatly increase the velocity of air allowing it to move the mulch through the hose. I also assume the dicharge hose has a smooth innner surface.

Let me know.

6. MR HYDROSEED

MR HYDROSEED LawnSite Member

they are completely different. the mulch blower uses an airlock and a very powerful positive displacement blower to push material throught the hose. A leaf vac will have a lot of air blowing but no pressure.

7. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I know a company around here that bought a mulch blower truck ($120,000) and they don't use it. They claim the amigos are better spreading the mulch by hand????

8. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a hard time believing that...they must not know how to use it right or don't trust anyone to drive it around.

9. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

I know 2 people who sold their pull behind units cuz they prefer to do it by hand. I thought it was a huge time and labor saver myself.

10. dmc456

Interesting... Doesn't say much for the small blower units.