Installing mulching kit

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by goatman, Aug 19, 2006.

1. goatman

goatman LawnSite Member

Regarding the installation of Hustler mulching kit 352435 for my '05 Hustler
    Super Z - 52" deck - the right hand pilot hole is under the large pulley to the
    right of the middle blade pulley (when viewing the machine while standing in
    front of it). Obviously I'll have to remove this pulley to drill out the pilot hole
    and everytime I install my mulching kit. The deminsion between the bottom
    of the pulley and top of the deck won't allow for finger (or wrench) clearance.
    Will this job require a wheel puller? If so, I'm sorry to have made my purchase
    as I don't want to have to take apart my machine everytime I want to mulch.
    Can anyone comment on this from past experiences? Thanks.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You shouldn't need a puller, just remove the bolt and washer and pull the pulley off, when reinstalling use some graphite so you will not have a problem taking the pulley off in the future.

3. JCR1709

JCR1709 LawnSite Member

Had a very similar difficult mulching kit installation with a 52" Fastrak deck. The pilot holes were easy to drill, but getting access to screw on the nut of one of the middle baffles was nearly impossible without removing some parts.
    If I remember correctly I was eventually able to screw that nut down with a combination of a stubby socket wrench, a swivel, and having someone with a smaller hand than I...even then it was extremely difficult.

Be very careful not to overtighten the nuts that secure the baffles. Last fall I very easily sheared off one of the bolts that are welded to the top of the baffle as I was tightening the bolt. I found that I was not able to buy just that one baffle I destroyed, so I tried the mulch kit with just two baffles in place. It seems to mulch my mountain of maple leaves ok, but I can't help to wonder how much better it may work with that third baffle in place.

Also, the blade bolts that were supplied with the mulch kit were over 1" too long....probably meant for the Fusion blades where you need to use the spacer.

Make sure the mulch kit is the correct one also. It took me three tries to get the right one because of deck changes, etc. I'm glad I didn't try to install the previous two ones!

On a side note, one of the spark plugs on the Honda 20 HP is also nearly impossible to remove because of Hustler frame restrictions. I was always the type to remove the plug(s) at the end of the year, clean the plug, add oil to the cylinder, move the piston to TDC and reinstall the plug. I don't think I'll be doing that this year. I felt like I was stripping the internal threads upon reinstallation which made me very nervous! It seemed ok this year so perhaps I didn't.

Other than that I have been very happy with this machine!