1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Installing Paver Edging

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by DSLND, Mar 17, 2007.

1. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Guys,

I have been browsing but could not find my answer. I am wandering how you intstall paver edging for new mulch beds. I am also wandering how you would "define" the bed and basically "prep" it so that the mulch and everything could be in place. I know that in order to lay the bricks, you would most likely need a trencher/bed edger, but what about creating the bed itself? Would you kill the grass, then just till it up? The picture below is what i am looking at doing. Thanks! -Mitch-

2. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

edge soil at a angle put plastic under to prevent weeds and make sure your corners line up, front edge ground leve(so homeowner can put lawnmower wheel on to mow easy and weed eat on it, a little loose dirt in front to hold the pavers are cheaper and more profitable than plastic edgeing, I use plastic once a year steel maybe every two. If you do enough your finish product looks better and makes your competition look plain, here is a nice allternative too.

teresa toverae0020.jpg
  3. Tim C.

Tim C. LawnSite Member

I would use a sod cutter to cut all the grass off. Then use an trechmaster or a flat spade to cut a trech wide and deep enough for the height of the brick and a bed of mortar underneath. You want the final height of the brick to be flush or just a little higher than the surrounding ground. You can kill off with roundup first and then till it up, but I find usually the bed will be mounded up higher than the brick if you do it your way.
  4. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Guys! -Mitch-
  5. iowa

iowa LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW IA

No need for mortar. I have seen people use stone dust around here, but I don't know if you even need that.