1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

installing putting greens

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by capescaper, Feb 5, 2004.

1. capescaper

capescaper LawnSite Member

i need to seperate myself from the other 100 business's in my area there is 10 golf course's in a 15 sq mile i was thinking of pushing putting greens any one ever do it
  2. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I looked into doing it last year, there are a few posts about it, search "putting greens." There are quite a few companies out there, do your homework some don't promise what they say.
  3. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want to know the proper way to build a real putting green, let me know. I was involved with the construction of the new golf course at Purdue in 1997, and was on the crew that did most of the greens work. The course was a multi-million dollar project, designed by Pete Dye. FYI, Pete designed the courses at Kohler, WI, the Brickyard Crossing at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and many others that I can't think of right now.:D

To do a real one the right way won't be cheap, but it will be a helluva green.:)

4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

5. sal

sal LawnSite Member

I had a good experience with all pro putting greens. They have a web site (www.allprogreen.com) . They were easy to work with and were happy to answer any questions. I installed 3 synthetic greens for one of my customers and they turned out great, nice add on to your business.:D
  6. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I would recommend synthetic turf over natural turf for a putting green - unless a bucks up customer wants one.
    After building and maintaining golf courses for over fifteen years ( I was one of the project managers for the golf course D Felix mentions), you do not need to install a USGA spec'd green for sole owner or residential use. A native soil, or push up green will work very well with limited soil admenments, in fact check with your local chapter of the USGA or equivalent for more info.
  7. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

I sure gotta go along with the synthetic route. The USGA and PGA have specific designs for greens and a install is not gonna be cheep. But the real expense is going to be in maintenance. Wait till you have to keep bent grass alive at 3/16 on south slope at 90d on a high sky day. Not to mention daily mowing with reel mowers. When I meet a PGA or USGA Grounds Superintendent, I take my hat off. These guys really know their stuff.