Installing PVC Pipe-What method do you all use?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by The Lawn Boy Pro, Sep 14, 2003.

1. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you Trench out the holes by hand dig, trencher, or those machines that pull the pipe underground?

2. LeoS818

LeoS818 LawnSite Member

Depends on the job. We have dug some by hand, used a trencher, used a backhoe, and we have a pipe puller

3. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Like this guy said^ Depends on the job, but we try to use the trencher machine as much as possible, its so fast and saves time.

4. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

I try and keep the manifold as close to the house as I can. Most of the time I have to dig 10-15 feet for the PVC mainline, But on the larger yards where I need two valve boxes, I connect in the house and in and out of the PVB with PVC, go under the rock border along the house, then immediatly change to a poly mainline. I've been using poly main for about a month or two now. Then I just branch off to the two manifolds with the puller and I'm all set.

5. Out here on the left coast, will find pipe is trenched rather than pulled. Then again, the non irrigation people will trench everything by hand, rather than spend $80 for a rental of a trencher.

John

6. Rotor-Man

Rotor-Man LawnSite Member

I spend the extra time and hand dig the mainline, and lay [never pull the controller wire!] the wire at the same time. Takes a little longer but overall I can see where everything is. My motto is take the time to do Quality work and not just do it the quickest and easiest way to get i n and out!

7. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

What's everybody got for a puller here?

8. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

we use a bobcat with a trencher to install pvc pipe on commerical projects.

usually we keep the manifold close to the backflow prevention device.

if it cannot be, then a master valve with a poly main will be installed.

brian

9. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

We use a Ditch Witch 255SX to pull pipe. When doing large installations such as soccer fields, we'll rent a trencher for the lines.

10. shaper

shaper LawnSite Member

We have a Case DH4 vibratory plow and a Case maxi-sneaker vibratory plow along with a Ditch Witch r-100, Ditch Witch 7020, Komatsu PC 60 excavator and a Hitachi 110 excavator. We do mainly golf Course work along with some athletic fields.

We try to pull 2.5" and 2" pipe where conditions allow. We can pull up tp 150' continous with up to 30 wires with the plow blades we use.