installing signs on dump?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Frank2, May 3, 2003.

1. Frank2

Frank2 LawnSite Member

Installing signs on the sides of a mason dump. Sides are built up with three 2x10's. Outside of boards are flush except for the three vertical rows of carriage bolts that were used to build the sides.
    Installing aluminum signs on side of boards, but not sure how to affix to 2x10's. The heads on the middle row of carriage bolts are in the way and will bow out the sign.
    I was going to attach with bolts and put some washers on to clear the head of the carriage bolt. Sign guy said wind will get under and rip sign off when traveling.
    Any suggestions? Anyone that has this type of setup? Thanks.

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

OK.... Pull out the carrage bolts that are in question.. Take a spade bit in your drill the diameter of the head of the carrige bolt.. then drill out existing holes in 2x6 just deep enough to recess the head of the carrige bolt so it is flush with the outside of the boards.. and walla .. No more issues.... Or just cut a piece of plywood to back the new sign and then bolt the hole thing on.. ? But I think the first idea will look cleaner..
  3. Frank2

Frank2 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply man. I didn't think I would ever get a response.
    I did just what you recommended. I counter sunk the middle row of carriage bolts and mounted the signs on flush. Worked great.