Installing sod on top of sand with irrigation

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by prosoil, Mar 20, 2008.

1. prosoil

prosoil LawnSite Member

Looking at some new built homes and the homeowners do not want any topsoil just sod put down. Would starting a organic program after sod has been put in and taken hold be good. Ie: aeration after sod takes hold and putting down organic material?:usflag:

2. bglawncommand

bglawncommand LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

No. Just get the lawn on a good fert program. Sand is the ideal medium for turf, with irrigation and proper nutrition. Don't mess up a good scenario by using the popular taglines like "organic material", etc.

3. prosoil

prosoil LawnSite Member

Ok, sounds great. I didn't think we had to do anything special but wanted to make sure.

4. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Here is a beautiful new lawn just put down last fall

NO FERTILIZER

Just organic matter and compost tea, talk about a great nutritient program

Prosoil,
    Don't mess up a good scenario by using the popular taglines like "fertilizer", etc.

mall-grass292.jpg

5. ICT Bill

Prosoil,
    Actually sandy soils is where organic lawn care really shines. We can raise soil porosity very quickly which means better drought tolerence

You can get the soil organic matter (SOM) up pretty quickly and nutrients can settle in and begin to aggregate the soil. We can get a simple organic lawn care up and running in just a month or two

Excellent long term results

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Sand is a good example of a water thing. Most of what is going to be applied is going to wash through the sand. Its call 'leaching'.

We have demonstrated such wise use of irrigation that we were able to poison wells 80 to 120 feet deep. Is that going to continue?

7. ICT Bill

The beneficial microorganisms that we put down mine phosphorous, potassium and fix nitrogen making them plant available. They allow micronutrients that would never be plant available to become available. The fungi reach out through the soil and build what is called a Hartig net which creates aggregation as aggregates build so does the fertility of the soil

As organic matter builds, SOM holds onto these minerals and prevents leeching all the while building soil fertility. As SOM builds more and more of these miners ar supported creating better and better plant health

39% of synthetic fertilizers volitize or leech, talk about a rip off. What if I sold you something and said.......... "well...... you can only use 60% of what I am selling you" you should be outraged and ask for a 40% discount.

Don't buy the "fertilizer" spin, it is only for those who can't think for themselves.

I am not saying "don't use fertilzer ever" what I am saying is that you can drastically reduce inputs and have better results

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

If the site is irrigated, sand is about a far as you can get from the ideal medium. Furthermore as pointed out by others, leaching is a problem with sandy soils.

9. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

brakes squeal in the back ground,

hold every thing lets be scientist for one second.
    sand alone? quarts shale oolite, forget that part,sand with a2% organic mater will work fine, most golf turf is all sand grown, we only have "SAND" and this is the turf Capitol of the world we get 45 cuts per year, plant sod at Xmas and feed in Jan. and sand is all we have.. modern fertilizer was invented by ww2 bomb makers that had ammonium nitrate
    left over from you guessed it "killing tools" and needed a fast market, too salt the earth (look that up)just make it simple and add the 2-10 % organic mater and save hundreds of $ on a tool of death "FERT" and save the ground water so that the new home owner has something to drink in a year.

tea will grow the mater in the spot that it sits in.....

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

OK.

Which has higher water and nutrient holding capacity, sand or a clay loam?