1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Installing SOD prices

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Dahoopd, May 18, 2008.

1. Dahoopd

Dahoopd LawnSite Member

I have tried doing a search and sod doesnt come up. One of my customers needs sod installed in a 10 x 46 foot area. I am unsure what to charge. Its the first time ever installing it. Does anyone have any imput on pricing? Thanks
  2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

we install sod at between $.27 - $.35 a sq ft. that is just laying it depending on slope and how far to haul it. topsoil and prep work is extra.

do a search
  3. Dahoopd

Dahoopd LawnSite Member

I did!

Thank you for the help. That will give me a rough estimate.
  4. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

yeah youre not kidding it doesnt....i dont know why
  5. greenguy08

greenguy08 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

DBL, you're talking about labor cost only, right?
  6. Assuming you can buy your pallet at $99 for a 450-500SF per pallet.....

Charge triple to lay it (of course, that includes you buying the sod)

Charge your hourly rate to prep the soil. You can't just throw it on top of grass already there... but you probably know that????

If you can't haul the pallet, charge whatever the nursery charges you for delivery...

We net at least $200 per pallet laid if it's only one pallet...
  7. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

no prep, they buy sod one guy can lay it in an hour. $50. you prep, buy sod, and deliver, $175-200
  8. Holy cow! Will you come and lay sod at my house? I've got 10 pallets here for you - and of course, I get a little discount for having multiple pallets, right?

If you'll buy, prep and lay a pallet of sod for $175 you're guaranteed to get the job - that's for sure!
  9. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

wow! no prep = $0.50-$0.75 per sqft installed
  10. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

We charge $50-60 per pallet, prep is more, and if I have to wheelbarrow the sod around the price goes way up. I always try to be there when its being delivered so I make sure the pallets get dropped where I want them.