Installing sod this late?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Lynden-Jeff, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi,

Need some info. Im going to be doing a sod install job next weekend, 3rd of november. Is it safe to be laying sod this late? In the next 2-3 weeks we may be seeing temps as low as 5* C during the day and -2/3 during the night. What would the watering instructions be? I dont want the sod to freeze solid im pretty sure. The more info you can give me the better.

Thanks

Jeff

2. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

We sod year around. The only problem with it is it may not root. If you sodding flat ground this is not a issue. If you are on a pretty good slope and drainage is a issuse then a big rain my wash you sod down the hill.

We have layed so in a hill before and layed concret re enforcement wire/ chain link fence and drove rebar though it until the spring until the sod rooted. Then came back and removed the wire and rebar. Only because we thought it may wash down the hill.

But its all up to you.

3. Lynden-Jeff

Hi,

Almost all flat sodding except about 300 sq ft on a hill so im not worried (the whole job is 9200 sq ft). How would I handle the watering? Do I water now even when its only a few degrees or wait for spring? Im not really sure how I handle it without damaging the turf.

Cheers
    Jeff

4. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

If its still a little green then maybe water it some. If it got a good rain on it then I would not worry about it after that.
    And im not from your area so I could not tell you how you should do it. Thats just how we do it around here.

5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I can't say for sure about your area. Best to ask your local sod farm for sure.

But where I live, we can install sod any time, any temperature, as long as there is not actually snow on the ground. I've installed sod right before a big snow and freeze storm and after the storm was over, the sod thawed and grew in just fine. The first time that happened, I was scared to death. I thought for sure the sod was going to die. But I've done it several times since then and never any worries. It seems to work out fine here.

6. Lynden-Jeff

I guess its just the searing heat of the summer that is the sods enemie. I am going to consult the sod farm where I purchase it from for more info so im pretty sure im going to lay it.

Cheers
    Jeff

7. McLandscapingInc

McLandscapingInc LawnSite Member

Jeff,

You should be able to pick up a box of about a thousand "sod staples" from your local turf store for the 300 sq. ft. As for the watering this will depend on the style of irrigation and temps.

8. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

sod, water and let it freeze down.

9. crazymike

crazymike LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

this is the best time of year to sod/seed. Because you don't have to worry about it dieing from lack of water.

The more sod is watered the better it keeps. I recommend it right until the ground freezes. If you set it atop frozen ground it will just move around too much.

Sod takes best with lots and lots of water. A nicely watered lawn will take in a few days and be perfect in a few weeks.

The main reasons you don't see a lot of sod jobs this time of year is because

a) the customers have lost interest in working outside
    b) landscapers are busy with other work this time of year
    c) it's often hard to convince a homeowner that if they put sod down this time of year it won't die. When in fact, it's the opposite.

Spring and fall are the wettest seasons, but sod isn't available first of spring.

10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Jeff,

I am curious. What did your sod farm tell you?